Any way to get rid of facebook?

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I don't even remember downloading it. It may have been baked into the phone but I've got facebook and facebook messenger and I can't delete either one. All I can do is disable it but I still get messages even when it's disabled. This is nuts. I hope I don't have to tweak the phone to do it. Bad enough I have see Uber on there..

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
unfortunately all you can do is to disable it then hide it. the only way I know that can get rid of it is to root the phone but then you would automatically lose other features that you might need.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That's odd to still get messages when it's disabled. What a pain! Try going into the Facebook & messenger app settings, scroll down to notifications, and turn off "allow notifications." Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
This can probably be done with ADB. It'll either work or not, it won't mess up the phone & you don't need root. If the package name id is the same on the phone as it is in the Play Store, then the ADB command would be adb uninstall com.facebook.katana.app

@Bluesman2008 ,if you need help with ADB, just holler. You'll need a Windows pc to download the ADB file, open command prompt then enter the ADB command & that's it

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This can probably be done with ADB. It'll either work or not, it won't mess up the phone & you don't need root. If the package name id is the same on the phone as it is in the Play Store, then the ADB command would be adb uninstall com.facebook.katana.app

@Bluesman2008 ,if you need help with ADB, just holler. You'll need a Windows pc to download the ADB file, open command prompt then enter the ADB command & that's it
Works with Apple too.

I use adb on my Mac book pro

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: CJM

cyvain87

Reaction score
I don't even remember downloading it. It may have been baked into the phone but I've got facebook and facebook messenger and I can't delete either one. All I can do is disable it but I still get messages even when it's disabled. This is nuts. I hope I don't have to tweak the phone to do it. Bad enough I have see Uber on there..
Facebook messenger can be uninstalled however disabling, hiding and preventing notifications should fix your issue the best possible without routing. But I do have one question how come you use a flagship smart phone but not Facebook? It seems very out of the ordinary to do so.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Facebook messenger can be uninstalled however disabling, hiding and preventing notifications should fix your issue the best possible without routing. But I do have one question how come you use a flagship smart phone but not Facebook? It seems very out of the ordinary to do so.

I have no use for facebook or any of the other social media sites either. Just because someone owns a flagship smart phone does not mean they want to post their life story online where everyone can see it. in my case it would be very boring :)

Gasmerty

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Htc
unfortunately all you can do is to disable it then hide it. the only way I know that can get rid of it is to root the phone but then you would automatically lose other features that you might need.
Rootting is dangerous , maybe he can lose other data or app from phone , i recommend trying to remove it again if you can't shut down his message receiving function,

cyvain87

Reaction score
I have no use for facebook or any of the other social media sites either. Just because someone owns a flagship smart phone does not mean they want to post their life story online where everyone can see it. in my case it would be very boring :)
That is fair enough, I did not mean to imply you must just that it seems unusual. But obviously if you wish to not use social media that is your choice.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Actually there are many people, young & old, who don't like social media. Thankfully, flagship phones can do much much more than Facebook. For me, it does most everything I need so well that I rarely touch my pc or tablet anymore.

Bluesman, did you find a fix yet? Crossing my fingers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Well, I got to the notices and turned that off. So far so good. I don't want to root it. Not worth the trouble. I use FB VERY infrequently...mostly for business. But I do keep in touch with my musician friends with it.