Any way to charge with Droid off?

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hi.

I turn off the Droid when I'm asleep at night.
Plug in the charger and it turns back on.

????

B

alm0614

Reaction score
no, the phone is made so that it is impossible to be off while connected to power, i just silence my phone at night(alarms still go off)

cpinto

Reaction score
Hi.

I turn off the Droid when I'm asleep at night.
Plug in the charger and it turns back on.

????

B

Plug it in, put in Airplane mode, tap the pwr button to turn off screen, and now it's basically off.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i think you can plug it into your pc, then turn it off.

it used to stay off like that, iirc.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Op -- what is exactly your goal? I'm assuming you don't want it off just to have it off. Are you trying to avoid getting notifications or something?

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
OP here.

Not exactly sure what I want.
With all my other phones I was in the habit of turning them off at night and charging them.
Yeah, I didn't want to take calls but it seems like less wear and tear if they are off. My guitar tech says that as long as electricity is running through something, a transformer for example, there is wear. Not sure if that applies to cell phones or not.

With this phone, I have it set so that when it's charging the screen is black and not throwing a bunch of light into the room.
Wife was charging hers last night and I couldn't remember how to black the screen and she was worried about burning the image into the screen.
So, per her request, I waited until it was fully charged and unplugged it and turned it off.

So I guess, at a minimum I want a black screen, or maybe a very dim one (I've seen pics of what Droid looks like in it's cradle) and be able to control which notifications I receive.

Is there any way to allow calls from only select people?

Thanks to all.
Good to know that there is a robust Droid community out there.
I think I've had all my questions answered in very short order!

Now if I could find some good PIM apps for the Droid maybe I could leave my Palm TX in my backpack!

B

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
OP I use timeriffic for my ring/notification settings. It is free in the market. Once you set up your preferences (when you want the phone to ring or vibrate and when you want notifications or when you don't) you can walk away and not think about it. This way even though it stays on when I charge it during the night I do not get any notifications and my screen stays off. I do however receive phone calls cuz this is my primary phone.

Hope this helps.

FootballRef

Reaction score
Here is what I do, I used to think just like the OP...I wanted my phone off.

-I go to silent mode at night
-I then plug my phone in to the charger and hit the power button to make it sleep

By doing this, you get the black screen you want and it charges with no noises.

Hope this helps.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here is what I do, I used to think just like the OP...I wanted my phone off.

-I go to silent mode at night
-I then plug my phone in to the charger and hit the power button to make it sleep

By doing this, you get the black screen you want and it charges with no noises.

Hope this helps.

+1 for this. That's what I do - you just beat me to it. ;)

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
it seems like less wear and tear if they are off. My guitar tech says that as long as electricity is running through something, a transformer for example, there is wear.

With computers, there is the idea of heat stress. A computer kept running all the time will last longer than one that is rebooted daily.

Last edited: