Any upcoming Droids with more internal memory?

ProfLonghair

Reaction score
I have two reasons I want to upgrade from my LG Touch: 1) it's old and slow, 2) I want to have ONE device for everything instead of schlepping around an iTouch and my phone.

I haven't seen anything more than 8GB upcoming for anything, is there any chance of seeing 32GB in a Droid? The music I have alone is about 25GB, so 16GB doesn't cut it.

Yes, I listen to that much music. Yes, I rip it at higher quality, and yes, I can hear a difference. As it is, cutting back from 64GB on the iTouch would mean leaving behind a bunch of movies and TV shows that I also like to watch.

Mayze

Reaction score
Leave your music on your pc and use homepipe if you have that many songs.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
They have 32gb micro sdcards...

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
I can't wait to be able to load apps on the SD card with 2.2. It's the feature I'm looking forward to more than Flash.

16GB is plenty but it doesn't do me a lot of good if I can only load apps onto the on-board memory.

OP
P

ProfLonghair

Reaction score
Edit - Thank you for the helpful advice, but, see below

Leave your music on your pc and use homepipe if you have that many songs.

Won't do me any good on an airplane, or somewhere with a bad signal. Plus, when data plans become tiered, it's likely to just make things even more expensive.

They have 32gb micro sdcards...

Yep. Sure do. Not an answer to the question I asked, though. I'm not really looking to spend $150 on a micro SD card, I've had others go bad in the past.

I'm not trying to be rude, really, but I've heard these answers before. I know all about streaming services and memory cards. I just wanted to know if there is a phone coming up that will have the memory onboard. If it's just a straight up no, that's fine. I've lived with what I have for a while, I can continue to do so. If it's a yes, I'd like to know what.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I just wanted to know if there is a phone coming up that will have the memory onboard. If it's just a straight up no, that's fine. I've lived with what I have for a while, I can continue to do so. If it's a yes, I'd like to know what.

Can't answer that....Unless someone works for Moto or another Manufactures R&D department that can't answer that for sure either.

OP
P

ProfLonghair

Reaction score
I just wanted to know if there is a phone coming up that will have the memory onboard. If it's just a straight up no, that's fine. I've lived with what I have for a while, I can continue to do so. If it's a yes, I'd like to know what.

Can't answer that....Unless someone works for Moto or another Manufactures R&D department that can't answer that for sure either.

Right, but any rumors or anything at all? I saw a few a bit back tat Droid 2 would have 32GB, but all posts since then have scaled it back to 8GB.

jbg25

Reaction score
Truth is ... probably no one knows. Or those that do wont tell you anyway, as they wont risk their jobs on it.

The DroidX will have 8GB as you said. And that is a significant increase over the Droid the last Moto/Verizon Droid which only has 256MB. There are rumors of a superphone with 2GHz processor and there are rumors about a DroidPro. Both due out before the end of the year. I would guess these are one and the same...and I would hope they would pump up the internal memory again maybe even up to 32GB.

But that is just my guess. I am sure this is not the answer you wanted...but it is probably the best you can get right now.

OP
P

ProfLonghair

Reaction score
I am sure this is not the answer you wanted...but it is probably the best you can get right now.

It's the answer I wanted, just not what I hoped for :)

I've been a bit confused, are Droid 2 and Droid X supposed to be the same? I've seen some conflicting reports on that

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
I am sure this is not the answer you wanted...but it is probably the best you can get right now.

It's the answer I wanted, just not what I hoped for :)

I've been a bit confused, are Droid 2 and Droid X supposed to be the same? I've seen some conflicting reports on that

It's my understanding that they are two different devices. The Droid 2 is a slight upgrade over the Droid and the Droid X is the device they announced the other day ago with the bigger screen and no keyboard.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just be aware that when you're reading "internal memory" in many cases it's not referring to memory used for storing apps. It's essentially like fixed external storage (like the SD card but not removable). Make sure you're clear on the specs that you're reading.

OP
P

ProfLonghair

Reaction score
Just be aware that when you're reading "internal memory" in many cases it's not referring to memory used for storing apps. It's essentially like fixed external storage (like the SD card but not removable). Make sure you're clear on the specs that you're reading.

So, you mean

RAM = memory for doing stuff (like any computer)
ROM != Internal Storage/Internal Memory
ROM = storing apps?
Internal Storage / Internal Memory = storing movies, music, etc?

jbg25

Reaction score
there are at least 3 Moto Droid phones coming out on VZW before the end of the year.

DroidX in July
Droid2 in Aug
and ....

many hope the Droid Pro in Nov. This is the phone I was referring to.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, the internal memory is for apps only on Android. That means that an sdcard is your only options for music, pictures, and videos.

OP
P

ProfLonghair

Reaction score
From what I've read, the internal memory is for apps only on Android. That means that an sdcard is your only options for music, pictures, and videos.

Is that standard going forward? The X or Incredible (or both, don't remember) has 8GB internal, that's only going to be for apps?