Any perk to buying off contract?

fox_91

Reaction score
OG droid owner, who used to buy 1 year contracts, which now are gone. Quick question since it's been a while since i bought a phone. Is there any discount for buying a phone off contract with VZW? I know they subsidize the cost of the phone with the plan, so I was wondering if they didn't subsidize my phone, do I get a discount on the plan?

Or is the only perk that I get, is that I can take my CDMA locked phone to all the other CDMA carriers in america lol

Is there a good reason to get the phone without a contract?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, the only reason would be so you can purchase another phone within 2 years at the upgrade price.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
You can take any Verizon phone to another CDMA carrier (with the exception of Sprint cause they're picky).

The only thing you can really do is leave Verizon whenever you want, or get a new phone whenever.

Then again, you can do that on contract also.

So really the only perk is you can leave vzw whenever.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can take a Droid branded phone to another carrier?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Another CDMA carrier minus Sprint since they're picky. I can't comment though on LTE phones.

Verizon phones from my understanding are not locked. So all you need to do is program them to work on the other carriers.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this, will have to check it out.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Yeah you can take VZW phones and get em activated on other carriers such as MetroPCS & Cricket. I'm sure there's more... but definitely not at Sprint like tjk629 stated.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh, I was talking about the main carriers, misunderstood.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am paying full retail and my contract will expire in 4 months. The nexus is an unlockable device so you can take it to another carrier and att has the same or similar lte as vzw. Though I would prefer staying on vzw.

doublea500

Reaction score
you can always ask the vzw rep if there is anything he can do for you or throw in. try to sound as if your not sure you want to spend the money or not. also not going on the first day its available would be a plus cuz even a toddler would know youve been waiting, sitting at your desk since october 17/18, clicking refresh over and over, waiting impatiently to buy it, like all the rest of us are :D.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tmobile Sprint ATT Verizon US are what I consider main carriers.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tmobile Sprint ATT Verizon US are what I consider main carriers.
CDMA was the keyword he used :p But yeah it's where you flash esn to another network and they allow you to use it on their network. A guy came into Best Buy the other day with an Evo 4G he bought off someone but the phone was flashed for Cricket or Metro so he had to get it switched back over to Sprint.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah like I said, I misunderstood his intentions.