Any difference between the OTA ICS and leaked ICS?

DrifterX

Reaction score
I didn't get to enjoy the OTA ICS long enough to know anything about it because I messed up my phone. Long story short, I'm on the leaked ICS version now and only having it for one whole day. I've already noticed a major battery drain and phone staying pretty HOT. I checked the battery status and most of the drain was due to display and "phone"? Which is weird considering my phone's not activated yet, so I couldn't make any calls. Another thing I noticed too was when I simply wanted to do anything involving any kind of typing, no letters were displaying. I couldn't enter anything at all. Only fix was to reboot phone then it would work but after awhile the process would start all over again. Am I the only one with this issue? Just wondering if something else had happened to my phone that's not fixable. Any ideas as to what's going on?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I believe that the leaked ICS version .211 is identical to the OTA version of ICS, but that earlier versions are not. As for whether you can flash the current OTA version or not, that depends on which leaked ICS you are running presently. Again, I believe that versions .7# are able to be flashed back to Gingerbread, and then you can get the OTA ICS directly via Verizon/Motorola. As for any versions beyond .7#, which include .8# and .2## versions are all unable to be reversed OR flashed to current OTA ICS, at least for the foreseeable future.

So, if you are on a .7# version, go to http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-droid-razr-utility-1-7-failsafe-edition.html and download the Utility, follow directions to flash back to Gingerbread, and then you should be able to OTA to ICS .211. WARNING>>>>> DO NOT flash the Utility above to Gingerbread if you are on ANY OTHER VERSION of the leaked ICS, except the .7# versions (which I believe were .75 & .78, but I may be wrong). Better safe than sorry, double-check my information before you do anything.

Note: The information provided herein is for educational purposes only and any decision to attempt to flash a ROM to your phone can permanently brick or freeze your phone, rendering it useless. Proceed at your own risk.

OP
D

DrifterX

Reaction score
Ok, I'm on the leaked version .211. Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip ...Used the Utility 1.7 to get there. I was just mainly curious as to why my phone was getting hot and rapid battery drain. Plus inputting text sometimes doesn't work. Was wondering if anyone else had these issues. My wife also has the Razr Maxx and she's on the OTA ICS, but she's not having any of the problems I'm having. Right now I'm awaiting a new Sim card and with my phone on wifi only, I didn't think my phone should drain that quick.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I may suggest that you do a Factory Data Restore. This has been reported to correct a variety of issues related to the upgrade, from minor quirks to full-blown crashes. It is also suggested that you clear both Cache and Dalvik Cache as a part of the process, so that you start completely fresh.

Of course, you may wish to backup things such as SMS, Call Logs, Apps, Emails, etc., before performing the FDR.

Reaction score
I believe that the leaked ICS version .211 is identical to the OTA version of ICS, but that earlier versions are not. As for whether you can flash the current OTA version or not, that depends on which leaked ICS you are running presently. Again, I believe that versions .7# are able to be flashed back to Gingerbread, and then you can get the OTA ICS directly via Verizon/Motorola. As for any versions beyond .7#, which include .8# and .2## versions are all unable to be reversed OR flashed to current OTA ICS, at least for the foreseeable future.

So, if you are on a .7# version, go to http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-droid-razr-utility-1-7-failsafe-edition.html and download the Utility, follow directions to flash back to Gingerbread, and then you should be able to OTA to ICS .211. WARNING>>>>> DO NOT flash the Utility above to Gingerbread if you are on ANY OTHER VERSION of the leaked ICS, except the .7# versions (which I believe were .75 & .78, but I may be wrong). Better safe than sorry, double-check my information before you do anything.

Note: The information provided herein is for educational purposes only and any decision to attempt to flash a ROM to your phone can permanently brick or freeze your phone, rendering it useless. Proceed at your own risk.

Actually this utility. 1.7 was specifically designed so that anyone on any leak can upgrad to the official .211. I went from .209 to .211 using this utility but.211 had many issues so i went back down to .209.

As for the OP, there are numerous reports of battery issues and Motorola had addressed this based on soak test reviews. They claim that a minor update is in the works to correct the battery issue. Of course, not all users are having battery problems but enough to warrant motorola to look into it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

OP
D

DrifterX

Reaction score
Sorry I'm a little hesitant at doing that. LOL... you see I was rooted stock .181, took the OTA ICS. Tried to run this custom font changer, screwed up phone... I made it worst by trying to fastboot back to .181 GB. (Should've known I can't switch back to an old OS). Tried for most of Sunday trying to get phone to work bc it wouldn't pass the duocore logo. Then just yesterday, made a carefree attempt to install leaked ICS without any wipes and finally got to here. The install went thru, but my phone was back into a "like new" stage, had to do the whole activation process. Plus switch back to my razr bc I was on my old DX while razr was down. So other than these quirks, phone seems "ok" for now.
Will a factory data restore have any affect? If not how do I that? In recovery? thanks in advance.

OP
D

DrifterX

Reaction score
I see. So being on the leaked .211, can my phone still take updates? If motorola sends out any new updates. Sorry sill noobish.lol

Reaction score
I see. So being on the leaked .211, can my phone still take updates? If motorola sends out any new updates. Sorry sill noobish.lol

Yes, if you are on .211 and assuming it us a clean install with nothing modified or missing, when Motorola sends an update, you will get it.

Reaction score
Sorry I'm a little hesitant at doing that. LOL... you see I was rooted stock .181, took the OTA ICS. Tried to run this custom font changer, screwed up phone... I made it worst by trying to fastboot back to .181 GB. (Should've known I can't switch back to an old OS). Tried for most of Sunday trying to get phone to work bc it wouldn't pass the duocore logo. Then just yesterday, made a carefree attempt to install leaked ICS without any wipes and finally got to here. The install went thru, but my phone was back into a "like new" stage, had to do the whole activation process. Plus switch back to my razr bc I was on my old DX while razr was down. So other than these quirks, phone seems "ok" for now.
Will a factory data restore have any affect? If not how do I that? In recovery? thanks in advance.

A FDR will only reset your phone back to a clean version of whatever you have. So if you are on .211, it will only clean your system up to a fresh .211. But it sounds like you started fresh since you had to go through the activation and set up anyway.