Android Wear Gets Updated to Version 4.4W.2; Moto 360 UI & Battery Tweaks and More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto-360-metal-smartwatch-large.jpg

Here's another Android Wear smartwatch story for your morning pleasure. The latest Android Wear update, which is version 4.4W.2 is rolling out OTA. It contains a number of significant fixes and upgrades.

Here's a quick summary:
  • Smart Battery Saving - When your battery hits 15%, your Moto 360 will turn off ambient mode, so you don’t have to remember to.
  • Timely Time Checks - Moto 360 will synchronize the time with your phone more often to make sure it is up to the minute.
  • User Interface Tweaks - We observed with consumers that there are many times where you want to use your Moto 360 as truly a classic watch—a beautiful way to see the time. A new gesture now lets you see the full watch face without permanently dismissing a notification. Just touch the top of a notification and swipe down. You’ll see the notification again when you have another high priority notification.
  • Mood Lighting - Moto 360 will adjust to the lighting of the room while charging, so that it isn’t too bright or too dark.
  • Readying the wires for Bluetooth - There are a couple of under-the-hood enhancements that will pave the way for connecting Bluetooth headsets to the watch.
  • Bug Squashing - As usual, bugs are squashed to enhance the overall user experience.
As you can see, Motorola seems quite committed to improving the Moto 360 as quickly as possible. Obviously the battery tweaks will be greatly appreciated, but we are most curious to see the "Mood Lighting" feature in action. Sound off if you have received this new update for your Moto 360 and let us know what you think of it!

Source: Motorola

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I wonder if they fixed the 'always on while charging' issue. Even with dev options enabled, I can't get it to shut off at night without using the Android Wear app on my phone, turning on ambient screen, waiting 10 seconds and then turning it off. It works,but its a hassle.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
That is incredibly annoying, but I doubt they "fixed" that, I am sure they don't see that as a flaw. Of course, that is until the user has that charging ring burned into their screen from being on for 8 hours a night.

I still do it the same way you do to be safe.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Enough already...push it out to everyone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
But it sure is a nice looking watch... I want one so bad but can't afford it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Just a side note, I took my watch off the charger yesterday at around 9am and forgot to put it on last night. Its now 11:15pm the next day, 38 hours later, and its at 33% battery. That last update really did help battery life.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Just a side note, I took my watch off the charger yesterday at around 9am and forgot to put it on last night. Its now 11:15pm the next day, 38 hours later, and its at 33% battery. That last update really did help battery life.
Not if you're running a non-stock watch face. Mine runs around 24 hours then says I'm done.

So...anyone get this update yet? I keep checking but nothing.