Android vs Windows 7

Youminker

Reaction score
Android vs Window 7

In recent, Microsoft declares that they will take a big share in the tablet market due to its Win. 7 slate. This is a little bit of boasting. I don't think
Win. 7 slate is good choice for popular guys. what' s more, Win. 7 slate is always higher that most Android tablets even though the general hardware.
I search a lot and compared some sample and found Win. 7 is incredible expensive.
Here are some samples from online sites.
Android 2.2 OS Tablet 8 Inch with Freescale iMX515 Cortex A8 Chip, support Flash Player 10,512M RAM - US$ 229.00

Amazon.com: Archos 9 PC Tablet (Black): Computer & Accessories

Window 7 Ultimate OS Slate Tablet PC 10 Inch Multi-Touch Screen with N450 Due Core CPU, 1G DDR2 - US$ 449.00

Well, anyway, Win 7 slate has a long way to go in the market. It's really confused, Win. 7 is really higher than Android tablet, even on the same site.

Last edited:

berbely

Reaction score
Well, I want to have an Android 2.2 tablet for a long time. Compared the tablets you mentioned above, I love this Android 2.2 tablet, but there is one thing I concern. I don't know Nowsupplier.com too much, I will check a lot before I order this one.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Android is free, Win Mobile 7 is licensed and so to make up that cost a mfr is going to have to charge more for the same device.

Just like, in theory, if you could purchase a PC without Windows it would be a few hundred cheaper.

Sounds like Win Mobile 7 might have an impact, at least in tablets, if and only if it gets a lot better with office integration.

OP
Youminker

Youminker

Reaction score
Yeah, Win 7 would have a certain share in the tablet market. Above all, Micro. has huge influence in the PC industry. Nobody can ignore what they do or what they said.
But for the OS of portable device, I don't think Micro. can challenge Android and Apple.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
what' s more, Win. 7 slate is always higher that most Android tablets even though the general hardware.
You do realize that the examples you chose include a Win7 slate with dual cores where the Android tablet only has a single one? At least make sure you're not comparing apples and oranges.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But for the OS of portable device, I don't think Micro. can challenge Android and Apple.

Unless they come out with unbelievable office integration. Of course, BB has the corp email pretty well locked down, but they've been losing share and it's bread&butter corp email is about to come under big attack from Android and IOS. The business potential for IOS' facetime or Google Voice (and other teleconferencing, VoIP and video conference capabilities) could really put a hurting on BB's core market. If I was Apple, the next commercial I would do is a businessman doing a video conference from an airplane. Seems like that would be a pretty big deal to traveling executives.

Ultimately I don't know how MS can leverage Office in a significant way. The screens are too small and the power isn't really there to do much in a meaningful way other than view a document.

OP
Youminker

Youminker

Reaction score
Maybe MS is too bureaucratic to innovate or due to their arrogence. For me, MS's recent products are really suck, no matter the fomer Win CE or the latter Win P 7.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe MS is too bureaucratic to innovate or due to their arrogence. For me, MS's recent products are really suck, no matter the fomer Win CE or the latter Win P 7.

I got a new PC a few months ago. It came with no Win7 OS disk. Not even sure I can get one without paying an arm and a leg, and even then it's just a factory reset (not clean Win7) filled with your typical bloatware. Maybe one day I'll create a system restore disk and play around with Ubuntu or something, but office integration is sort of a big deal for me since I often use my PC for work.

OP
Youminker

Youminker

Reaction score
Currently, most PC in the market don't run official Win version but just Linux or something such many PC from Dell. So, if you buy such kind of PC, you really have to prepare a second choice. You choose the Ubuntu is a good one. You can find some useful infor. here. Ubuntu Forums

Darkseider

Reaction score
The current Chinese knock off tablets are getting a LOT better and offer a great value for the price. The one mentioned by the OP is pretty neat. Also there is the Flat Computing Flatpad A10T which is a 10" Tegra 2 with capacitive screen. Then the Elocity A7 which is a 7" Tegra 2 tablet. Let's not forget the Archos 70 and 101 which are out right now and getting Froyo in a week or two. By Q1/Q2 next year there will be a plethora of quality Android tablets out there whether they be Cortex A8 or Cortex A9 (OMAP 44xx / Tegra 2) based running Froyo or better.

Michlo

Reaction score
Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, CA
Android is free, Win Mobile 7 is licensed and so to make up that cost a mfr is going to have to charge more for the same device.

Just like, in theory, if you could purchase a PC without Windows it would be a few hundred cheaper.

Sounds like Win Mobile 7 might have an impact, at least in tablets, if and only if it gets a lot better with office integration.

FYI - You CAN buy a computer without windows or any other OS on it. You use one of the computer sites which allow you to specify parts, etc.

Cheers.