Android Tablet news round-up - 9/3/2010

Reaction score
My wife is an author and I got her one this week, she just has to waait till Tuesday for delivery. We probably are the minority on this one though.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Am I in the minority when I think that tablets with mobile OS's like the iPad, Android, and WebOS are kitchy and useless. Personally if it doesn't have a full OS like Win7, OSX, or a full linux distro I don't find them to be truly useful. I don't want apps, I want programs, a stylus, handwriting recognition, etc.

I'm looking at things like this when I want a tablet:

HP EliteBook 2740p Tablet PC specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products

Axiotron : Home

Anyone else feel the same? I know these aren't Android....I just don't feel that an Android OS is meant for anything brighter than a phone. Android and Apple tabs are seem like they are meant to be ebook readers and web surfers for sitting on the toilet, which my phone can do just the same.

You're talking about something completely different. A 4 or 5 pound notebook or tablet is also completely useless for lying in bed reading some article on the web or reading a book. It is also useless for doing the same while I exercise on my recumbent exercise bike. That is what a half pound android tablet does a great job of doing. You say that an android tablet is useless for anything. Well, I could say the same about what you want, as it has no use to me. For a lot less money, I have an ASUS Eee-PC instead of your $1600 tablet PC that does no more for me than y $300 Eee. This is why they make all of these. None are useless to everyone.

I see your point, but I still think my phone does all that just fine and a tablet without the above mentioned functionality is an extra gadget that doesn't fill a technological gap that smartphones are missing. And on a side note, an Eee-PC is not comparable to what I'm looking at...price aside they lack a lot.

I didn't mean that the Eee was comparable to the HP. I was just saying that for me or my wife, it does the job that we want. She is very happy with it as her only computer (10 inch screen one). I prefer my Dell laptop, but I use the Eee when we travel on vacation.

In an earlier comment, I said that I would like the 7 inch tablet to have a 1024 x 600 screen. If it had that then I would buy one if the price were reasonable. I doubt that I would buy one with the approximately same screen resolution as the Droid. The 10 inch one is just too big to hold up in bed or on the bike. The 7 inch one with 1024 x 600 would be perfect for viewing most web pages or reading some pdf document. If somebody comes out with that then it would be perfect for what I want. There are probably a lot of people who think the same, as there are a lot of people who completely agree with you. Again, that's why they make so many things, most of which are useless to one particular person and perfect for someone else.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Just to be sure do those archos tablets have the market by any chance?

They do not have the Android Market. They have their own market called AppsLib I think. The only way to get the Android Market on Archos devices is to hack them.

jonnybgewd

Reaction score
Is it easy to brick them, or would it be just as easy to theme and get roms for?

And I think I'm sold as far as the arches 101 goes.