Android 5.0.1 Has a Memory Leak Problem; Fix is Coming Soon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-bug2.jpg

It seems that Google's Android engineers didn't let Lollipop bake long enough. A new memory leak issue has been discovered in Android 5.0.1 that is giving users some trouble. The bug rears its ugly head first with crashing apps and random returns to the home screen. The memory leak ends up taking up about 1.3+ GB of RAM which causes memory intensive apps to crash.

The memory leak has been occurring on 2013 and newer Android tablets as well as the Nexus 4, 5 and 6 smartphones. Luckily, the folks at Google HQ are working hard on the issue. The thread for the issue has already been closed and marked as a “FutureRelease.” We expect the fix to come very soon. Sound off if you are one of the folks who experienced any of these issues.

Source: AOSP Tracker

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't it be:

"It seems that Google's Android engineers didn't let Lollipop harden long enough."?

Just saying. :)

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
I wonder if that is the cause of the problem of a Nexus 4 automatically shutting down. One of our two Nexus 4s in the house randomly shuts down once per week, and ironically it is not mine! (I'm the "power user" of the house.) This morning, had to hold down one of the volume keys and the power button to get it to boot. Power button alone would not work. Phone was fine on 4.4.4.

I've left my tablet at 4.4.4 until they get these kinks worked out.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welp...I guess I'm glad that I didn't go ahead and sideload .1 on my 2012 N7 and I also guess I'll take a pass on the OTA until it's at least .2. Haha!

Or maybe I should install it to see since the OP says it's mostly affecting newer tablets...

Nope...

Not worth it.

jabbyste.123

Reaction score
true
I posted this from a google nexus 7 which runs lollipop and it does both e er since I updated it. On another note it is quite a bad layout with no gallery and replaced with Google photos!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
true
I posted this from a google nexus 7 which runs lollipop and it does both e er since I updated it. On another note it is quite a bad layout with no gallery and replaced with Google photos!
Welcome to the forum!

Is that a 2013 version?

Do you actually use the gallery much on your tablet? Can't remember the specs on the 2013, but my 2012 doesn't even have a rear-facing camera, so I'm not sure I ever really opened the gallery on it...Google photos on the other hand has all the pics from my phone backed up, so that's actually more useful to me.

zongosaiba

Reaction score
Was reading the post and Nvidia shield new shutting down abruptly and almost impossible to power back up without volume down and power bottom. At first, thought of a possible battery issue. Is there a way to find out if the bug is causing the issue?

kakkartushar1

Reaction score
Is this issue is only with the sock Rom or with cyanogen mod too? I am thinking of installing cm12 on my mi3, should I wait for bugs to be confirmed on cm12?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just got a notification of 5.0.2 ready to install on my 2012 N7.

I just wanna read my book & go to bed, so I'll wait until tomorrow to install it.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
I'm currently running 5.0.1 on my Nexus 5 without any problem.

Sent from my Note 4 by osmosis. :)