Android 3.0 (Gingerbread)

htartisan

Reaction score
I have been hearing some rumblings in the press about Android 3.0 (aka: Gingerbread). The early rumors sound great.

- New 3D UI, similar to the latest Photo Gallery.
- Supports 1380x768 screens.
- Support for video chat.

The latest info I have read says that the first builds of the new OS version will be put out in late Oct, and there will be new products in late Nov or early Dec being sold for the X-mas rush.

Anyone heard anything else?

The code for 3.0 must already be near completion. Has anyone seen a running demo yet?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been hearing some rumblings in the press about Android 3.0 (aka: Gingerbread). The early rumors sound great.

The latest info I have read says that the first builds of the new OS version will be put out in late Oct, and there will be new products in late Nov or early Dec being sold for the X-mas rush.

Anyone heard anything else?

The code for 3.0 must already be near completion. Has anyone seen a running demo yet?

2.2 isnt even out for all devices yet. and how do you plan on video chatting when theres only a camera on the back?

Why Android 3.0?
Why not Android 2.3?

just what google picked..

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You won't see Gingerbread in Oct.

Let's let 2.2 finish rolling out to devices before we jump into more speculation :)

Jejackson

Reaction score
I read that gingerbread was slated for october as well...but its probably more realistic in late november early december since that's phone buying season

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
does the droid 1 owners all have 2.2 update already and adobe flash 10.1 work with it
Yes and yes. It's not a game changer. A lot of people are gonna be disappointed when they finally get 2.2 and realize it doesn't reinvent the wheel.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score

Who cares? The UI works fine.

My screen doesn't support that. Don't care.

I have no front facing camera and if I did - I wouldn't care - I don't really want to do video chat.

badog

Reaction score
Funny, I've been on 2.2 since it came out (I even played with it when it was leaked just to try it), and I still haven't installed flash. Right now I don't see the need for flash. Nothing I do has required it so why install it. Personally, I'd rather see an update to fix all the broken stuff 2.2 introduced & didn't fix instead of more features that will more than likely introduce more issues...My feeling on the droid OS is that it was designed and is updated by programmers that don't care about QC or customer feedback.

I really like the phone, but it leaves a lot to be desired and has quite a few issues that should have been resolved by now...I don't see 3.0 fixing half the issues I see on the forums.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Who cares about that stuff as much as performance and stability, these are the things that can be had with 3.0. Now we'll see if they deliver or not.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have no issues with the phone at all.. maybe because I'm rooted, overclocked and with a good ROM.

I haven't installed flash either. Why bother - who needs ads.

Funny, I've been on 2.2 since it came out (I even played with it when it was leaked just to try it), and I still haven't installed flash. Right now I don't see the need for flash. Nothing I do has required it so why install it. Personally, I'd rather see an update to fix all the broken stuff 2.2 introduced & didn't fix instead of more features that will more than likely introduce more issues...My feeling on the droid OS is that it was designed and is updated by programmers that don't care about QC or customer feedback.

I really like the phone, but it leaves a lot to be desired and has quite a few issues that should have been resolved by now...I don't see 3.0 fixing half the issues I see on the forums.

everstar80

Reaction score
I just posted a thread with that same question. I thought I heard that even though the latest froyo update isn't on all droid devices that there may be another update soon. I'm just curious about what's next.

OP
H

htartisan

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. Maany of the new features can only be used on a new device.

I like my Droid 1, but...

I would buy a new device to get some stuff like a 1Ghz+ processor (the new Nvidia dual 1Ghz would be even better), and a front mounted camera. I would also love a higher rez screen (like the one on the new LG Apollo). I guess some people don't care about this stuff, but I would like to watch Hulu (and perhaps other video stuff) on my phone. Would be great while I'm traveling.

I have had my Droid for about 9 months now, and it has been great. I especially like the fact that I have continually gotten new Android builds with new features. That being said, I expect to have to upgrade my phone about once a year.

All of this being said, I would hate for Anroid developers to limit their efforts to features that work on the current round of hardware. That seems silly to me.

Last edited:

928quest

Reaction score
Wow, a forum full of visionnaries, "what do I need that for?", types of comments. Android I'd an immature growing os, and it needs to grow as fast as possible. One of Androids greatest strengths is that it is on multiple carriers' I have seen tons of people buy one for that reason alone. Soon Androids greatest rival will also be on multiple carriers. So Androids coolness, openess, and variety will be what Android will need to rely on, and the current os is not nearly as smooth as the competition. Also, like it out not Marketplace needs to be cleaned up. Allow other people to setup wild west marketplaces but the main one should be screened and cleaned up.