Android 2.2 Rollout Is A Nightmare (Google Is Evil)

cromo8

Reaction score
haha that article came from macworld, go figure

google may be evil but id rather be on the dark side then

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A iPhone web site criticizing android. What a shock.

Windows 3.5 my butt.

Cloppy

Reaction score
lol mac fanboy ranting. typical.. but everyone is entitled to their opinion. we could go on and on about the antenna on the iphone 4 :) . I like android he likes apple.

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
He does have a point about it being fragmented. Every android phone runs a different version. Android is always compared to windows but I don't really see it as a good comparison. When you buy a computer running Windows you get all of Microsoft's updates no matter which manufacturer you bought it from. If you have and HP you get all the updates and if you own a Dell you get all the updates. I think this is Android's biggest flaw.... they need to keep all the phones up to date.

I'm not saying Android sucks or anything. I have a Droid and my phone is up to date so I'm not complaining about that.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
As far as Apple is concerned, Google is evil, though. Google has made the only viable alternative to the iPhone for people who want something other than the Blackberry's craptacular-for-average-users OS.

Now, for business use/email, Android has some distance to go to match RIM's level of polish in that regard, but Android is catching up faster than RIM likes.

Go Android! Make Apple cry like a baby some more!

cpjr

Reaction score
Muh.....its always biased, you go to an Apple based site you'll get that, if you go to an Android based site you'll get Apple bashing......to each his own.

Reaction score
The fragmentation is THE NUMBER ONE FLAW for Android. Buying an iPhone, you at LEAST know that for the next couple of years, you KNOW you can update your phone when Apple pushes it out. Buying a phone then having it be obsolete with no valid way of updating it only a few months later leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I bought a Moto Droid and a Droid Eris for my wife. It's rather frustrating that I have to wait on Motorola and Verizon to decide to let me upgrade an OS months after the upgrade is finished by Google, but it's MUCH more frustrating to know that another phone that was released THE SAME DAY is now completely obsolete and will not be upgraded again because HTC and Verizon don't want to devote the resources to it. You should be able to count on being able to upgrade for AT LEAST the 2 years you're forced into by the contract.

Google would be smart to start telling the manufacturers that they need to have a minimum spec before they can use Android AND they need to tell them they need to push out the base upgrades and let users have the option of using their custom skins or not and get THOSE upgrades when available. More of a bit of consistency would be AWESOME.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I know someone whose 3GS was bricked by the update. At least Apple let them keep it, unlike Verizon/Motorola when the update's bricked phones.

Gingerbread is reported to start implementing minimum specs. We'll see.

oshizo

Reaction score
i dunno some of his points are valid... lots of fragmentation in android. may have to look at WP7... not really... well maybe... *vomits* wash rinse repeat.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Buying a phone then having it be obsolete with no valid way of updating it only a few months later leaves a bad taste in your mouth..
Let's jump to the dark side for a moment; we have had how many updates so far since november ??? (I do not count the fact that it is held up for OEM's do do their UI overlays, etc.)

If it were like Apple, we would only now be coming up on 2.1 ...

Since when has Apple released updates every few months, and where is it written that you would always get updates to your apple device?

While fragmentation does need to be addressed (Dell, epic fail on "new" devices with 1.5?) the only saving grace is the mod community, we get it out when google gets it out, no waiting.

I'm not advocating root, but technically you bought a device that came with what was on it. Yes, they promise updates, but that isn't in your contract, read it over.

And lastly, for most outside this mod community, some still don't even know Froyo exists, or that they upgraded to it (The starfish syndrome)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Buying a phone then having it be obsolete with no valid way of updating it only a few months later leaves a bad taste in your mouth..
Let's jump to the dark side for a moment; we have had how many updates so far since november ??? (I do not count the fact that it is held up for OEM's do do their UI overlays, etc.)

If it were like Apple, we would only now be coming up on 2.1 ...

Since when has Apple released updates every few months, and where is it written that you would always get updates to your apple device?

While fragmentation does need to be addressed (Dell, epic fail on "new" devices with 1.5?) the only saving grace is the mod community, we get it out when google gets it out, no waiting.

I'm not advocating root, but technically you bought a device that came with what was on it. Yes, they promise updates, but that isn't in your contract, read it over.

And lastly, for most outside this mod community, some still don't even know Froyo exists, or that they upgraded to it (The starfish syndrome)
Don't know, don't care, and don't notice the improvements.

Some users of this phone use it exclusively for phone calls, not even texting on it.