Ambient Display Question

wesmad

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this has already been asked but I can't find anything on it. I was wondering if there was any way to make ambient Display only come on due to notification, and not when the device is picked up. That part doesn't interest me much, and serves more to annoy me by thinking it's been picked up when it hasn't. Absolutely loving my Nexus, and this would only make it that much better. Thanks in advance.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I don't have a N6 but believe you do not have the choice of one or the other. It's either on or off. Perhaps someone with an N6 can confirm this.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Correct @Jeffrey.. It will behave on pickup as well... There might be some custom ROM that will eventually change its options but none that I'm aware of at this moment..

Tapped by Big 6

OP
W

wesmad

Reaction score
That's what I figured, but just wanted to see if someone knew something I wasn't seeing. Thanks guys!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Most welcomed.. I will keep eyes open for any changes.. I turned mine off and went the LED way... Root needed for it though..

Tapped by Big 6

OP
W

wesmad

Reaction score
Yeah I went ahead and rooted straight out of the box, still running stock, but I've read a few people saying the LED route has made their battery life suffer a bit. Idk that it's a big enough deal for me to maybe lose some screen time. I'll probably give it a go and just see.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yeah I went ahead and rooted straight out of the box, still running stock, but I've read a few people saying the LED route has made their battery life suffer a bit. Idk that it's a big enough deal for me to maybe lose some screen time. I'll probably give it a go and just see.

I'm using Lightflow haven't noticed battery hit... Probably minimal at best..

Tapped by Big 6

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I'm assuming there's the moto app. Go into there...settings...actions... Turn off approach for moto display. Shouldn't come on when you go to pick up then.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Never mind guess it still will when you pick it up. At least that's what it does in my turbo.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I'm assuming there's the moto app. Go into there...settings...actions... Turn off approach for moto display. Shouldn't come on when you go to pick up then.

Nexus 6 does not have Moto display sadly, only the ambient display. Similar, but wish we had the option for both like the new Moto X.

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
I also turned it off. Using sound for notifications and double tap for display.

OP
W

wesmad

Reaction score
I'm running Euphoria now and I'm just using Double Tap. I don't find myself using it nearly as much with the side button as compared to my M8. Never realized how inconvenient that top button was. Lol

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Nice.. Definitely easier with power button on the side.. Even with double tap I use the power button plenty as it's at a comfort spot.

Tapped by Big 6

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
I try not to use the power button. I stayed with the gnex till this phone and I plan on having this phone for a while. On the gnex the power button stopped working consistently and was very aggravating. That gave me a fear of constant button use on a long term phone. Although this phone feels like there is a micro switch where the gnex had a pressure plate that corroded.