Amazon Officially Announces In-App Purchasing to Compete with Apple and Google

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;1hsbY85Dt3Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1hsbY85Dt3Q[/video]​

Amazon has finally developed their own In-App purchasing API to go along with the Amazon AppStore. This is obviously a move to compete directly with Apple and Google more effectively by attracting devs with the potential for additional profit. Amazon’s new in-app purchasing API allows developers to sell additional content, level packs, new features and more from inside their apps. Amazon Appstore director Aaron Rubenson said, ”Amazon Appstore’s In-App Purchasing service enables developers to generate more revenue from their apps. In-App Purchasing is simple to integrate and gives developers access to millions of Amazon customers who are already familiar with Amazon’s 1-Click payment system. Many of Amazon Appstore’s customers have shopped with Amazon before and they trust Amazon’s easy payment process, which leads to higher conversion of developers’ in-app content and subscriptions.”

You can see more details in the video above. Here's a question for all our devs out there? Does this entice you to start considering using Amazon's Appstore in your repertoire?

Source: Kindle-FireForum via BGR

jayman350

Reaction score
I'm getting so sick of all these "free" games that are out there, once you start playing them you realize that you have to pay a significant amount of money for in-app purchases to make the game even worthwhile... and the stuff you buy isn't transferring to another device, unless you remember to back up the data w/ something like TiBu. But if your phone breaks and you can't backup/restore then you are SOL.

I have only ever used an in-app purchase on two games, Contract Killer (before all the "improvements" which are just more things to buy) and Where's My Water for the extra levels. I would much prefer to pay more for an app up front, and not worry that I'm going to have to keep buying extra credits to advance in the game.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
REAL off subject...but I HATE how there's no channel log in the Amazon app.

So I have to either hope I notice a new permission (and figure out how it applies to the app...which gets boring) OR run to the Android marketplace and read the "What's new" part there

Seems like a simple concept. It could even say "channel log"! So I know why I'm updating

So now, I try not to buy anything in the Amazon store unless it's just dirt cheap.