Alternate Dialer?

debracey

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Do any of you know of a good (free) alternate dialer application? I'd like to be able to make outgoing calls using my Google Voice number --- the default dialer doesn't allow for that...

Thoughts?

jhalsey205

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Do any of you know of a good (free) alternate dialer application? I'd like to be able to make outgoing calls using my Google Voice number --- the default dialer doesn't allow for that...

Thoughts?

DialerOne is definitely the way to go. MUCH better than stock

OP
D

debracey

Reaction score
DialerOne doesnt appear to have a way to dial through Google Voice -- unless Im missing something?

Droids

Reaction score
You just need to install the Google Voice app on the phone. Then when you want to call you'll have an option to use GV for the call. It will still use your VZW minutes. There are some work-arounds to using your minutes but they aren't pretty or simple. However if you simply want to use GV for your calls, all you need is the app installed.

OP
D

debracey

Reaction score
The problem is that the google voice app doesnt work with numbers dialed through the dial pad. It only works with contacts -- unless I'm missing something?

--
Dan

jhalsey205

Reaction score
The problem is that the google voice app doesnt work with numbers dialed through the dial pad. It only works with contacts -- unless I'm missing something?

--
Dan

In google voice settings, you can denote. If you want it (google voice) to handle all your calls by default (or to give you an option or only to use for voice mail), regardless of the dialer.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

OP
D

debracey

Reaction score

--
Dan

In google voice settings, you can denote. If you want it (google voice) to handle all your calls by default (or to give you an option or only to use for voice mail), regardless of the dialer.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Did you actually try this? It doesn't seem to work.

1. I downloaded the GV app from the market and set it up
2. I set "use google voice for all calls" in the settings
3. I went back to my home screen and hit the dialer button in the lower left corner
4. I dial a number and hit send ---- the number that shows up on the caller ID is my cell # and not my GV #...

jhalsey205

Reaction score
Did you actually try this? It doesn't seem to work.

Well, I did back on my D1 (two devices ago). My recollection is that it worked, but that was probably an assumption by me. I never confirmed that my Google Voice number was showing up on the caller id.

Most of what i use Google Voice for is voice mail.

I will try it out with my Pro in the morning.

johnpalley

Reaction score
thanks jhalsey. please let us know how it turns out. i cant even buy the droid pro unless i know gv works with all calls

katahdin

Reaction score

--
Dan

For more Info than I wanted or needed, try this link in gDocs: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ae8glDUXDsh9ZGR2eG43cjRfMzNkOTM4ZjNjeA&hl=en

1. Unlimited Free Calling with Google Voice
1. 1. Introduction
2. 2. Free Calling from a Landline
3. 3. Free Calling from a Cellphone (using the Voice plan)
4. 4. Free Calling with Voice Over IP (VOIP) - Introduction
5. 5. The Gizmo5 Project - Background
6. 6. Google Voice Integration with Gizmo5
7. 7. Gizmo5 Integration with SIP Sorcery
8. 8. SIP Sorcery Integration with sipgate
9. 9. SIP Sorcery Scripting
10. 10. Simple Dial Plan
11. 11. Complex Dial Plan
12. 12. Customizing the SIP Sorcery Dial plans
13. 13. Connecting other SIP Clients and Devices
14. 14. Configuring and Testing your SIP Calling Chain
15. 15. Additional setup screenshots