All Contacts GONE this morning ....

cpinto

Reaction score
Well ... I woke up this morning, roll over to call into work to see what's going on.

Tap the CONTACTS icon, and I am greeted with 200+ google account UNKNOWN contacts.

ALL Contacts GONE.

So, about 2 days ago I had done a full Contact backup with MY Backup Pro.

Did a full restore, but everything still shows UNKNOWN.

I have backed them up to several places, and will keep trying to restore.

Any thoughts about what might have happened?

Seems as though I read another post the other day about the same thing.

I feel Google Sync is screwing up somehow.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well ... I woke up this morning, roll over to call into work to see what's going on.

Tap the CONTACTS icon, and I am greeted with 200+ google account UNKNOWN contacts.

ALL Contacts GONE.

Try this. Go to your contacts/menu button/import-export/import from SD card. I'll bet they all come back.

OP
C

cpinto

Reaction score

ALL Contacts GONE.

Try this. Go to your contacts/menu button/import-export/import from SD card. I'll bet they all come back.

Well ... Thanks for the quickest replay I have ever seen.

I did try that after you suggested it, and everything still showed as UNKNOWN.

Next I turned off Google Sync, then did a full contact restore with MY Backup Pro that was only a couple days old.

That fixed it, and everything is back.

I don't know what happened, but I'm done with Google Sync.

Thanks again for the suggestion. After the restore, I did EXPORT to the card, so maybe it will help if this happens again.

Craig

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have facebook sync too? You may want to turn that off. But I can't imagine having a Google phone and not having Google sync. It's got to be something with the set up in your gmail settings.

Make sure your contacts in gmail are all under "My Contacts." If they wern't then that could be why they disappeared. Also do you want all your contacts to have phone numbers? There is a selection for "add contacts with phone numbers only" on your Droid. Either select it or not select it.

I'm glad you got them back, that's the main thing. That 5.00 for my backup pro is well spent.

IcyDroid

Reaction score
Glad to see that you got it working again. It seems like Google Sync has been having problems for people lately. The other morning it wouldn't let me sync anything and when it did I got duplicates (even triplets) on some of my contacts and calendar events.

I wonder if Google is reworking the interface or updating it behind the scenes?

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP, did you bother to check your gmail account online, to see what your contacts looked like there?

Mayhew

Reaction score
Were you using Chomp SMS? I had the same problem. Uninstalled it and started using Handcent SMS - so far, my contacts haven't been deleted.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad to see that you got it working again. It seems like Google Sync has been having problems for people lately. The other morning it wouldn't let me sync anything and when it did I got duplicates (even triplets) on some of my contacts and calendar events.

I wonder if Google is reworking the interface or updating it behind the scenes?

Well, I added another contact to my contacts on line and it appears on my phone just like it's suppose to. I don't think there is any issue with sync.