All About Apps2SD (FROYO)

magnus

Reaction score
I'm having similiar problems.

I haven't completely disables Apps2Sd because I'd like it for some apps......but I also need my widgets.

Everything was working fine until I received my first phone call. After that I noticed that all the widgets for my home screen were gone, but they rest were there. So I rebooted ......BAM...they ALL gave that error message.

Tried restarting Launcher pro, rebooting and moving all widget apps to phone, more rebooting, mounting and unmounting SD card...nothing.

The apps in SD don't even show up in the app drawer and the custom icons I had for Apps Organizer are now all just standard Android green and white app icons. The shortcuts in there are the only way I can get to my Apps on SD.

The apps were initially restored using Titanium backup

Any ideas? HELP!!! :)

tfkennady

Reaction score
Will moving apps2sd help overall performance?

From what I can gather on the Android operating system is that it's unnecessary to run a task killer because the OS will prioritize what applications need to be running to suit your needs/experience at that particular moment and kill all others.

Furthermore the operating system will use the remaining phone memory as "swap memory" when RAM becomes scarce.

If this is true, could moving all your apps to the sd card effectively double your available "RAM"???

If not, would it be possible to implement this into a custom rom (bugless perhaps)???

Essentially all your apps would run from your sd card and if possible the entire OS.

I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I was curious.

eteusch1

Reaction score
So I was fooling around with Apps2SD today and I found that after reboot, apps that were on my homescreen changed to the default icon, and weren't in the app tray....

I also noticed that when you shutdown, the phone unmounts the sd card, and when you turn the phone on, it mounts the card. This is where I believe the problem is coming from. The launcher is started before the sd card is mounted, so it can't see the icons or programs, so it won't display the icons on the home screens or in the app tray.

One way around that would be to change android so it doesn't unmount and mount the sd card when the phone powers off and on. The other option would to leave a "shortcut" (for lack of a better word) that would allow the launcher to add the icon as well as add it in the app tray, but point the app to the sd card location.....

Is that right? if so, is anyone working on that?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So I was fooling around with Apps2SD today and I found that after reboot, apps that were on my homescreen changed to the default icon, and weren't in the app tray....

I also noticed that when you shutdown, the phone unmounts the sd card, and when you turn the phone on, it mounts the card. This is where I believe the problem is coming from. The launcher is started before the sd card is mounted, so it can't see the icons or programs, so it won't display the icons on the home screens or in the app tray.

One way around that would be to change android so it doesn't unmount and mount the sd card when the phone powers off and on. The other option would to leave a "shortcut" (for lack of a better word) that would allow the launcher to add the icon as well as add it in the app tray, but point the app to the sd card location.....

Welcome to the party. All you do is restart launcher after reboot. all Icons and apps return

eteusch1

Reaction score

Welcome to the party. All you do is restart launcher after reboot. all Icons and apps return

Thanks...figured that one out on my own. Is anyone looking at a work around (specifically the two that i mentioned above)?

B

budmonster

im on the Frozen Lovely Yogurt 0.6 rom by Birdman. is their anyway i can use this on his rom. i want to be able to move most apps 2 sd. right now i can only move like 2. do i have to edit something, a script, etc.?

creamers

Reaction score
im on the Frozen Lovely Yogurt 0.6 rom by Birdman. is their anyway i can use this on his rom. i want to be able to move most apps 2 sd. right now i can only move like 2. do i have to edit something, a script, etc.?

Devs have to enable it.

B

budmonster

Devs have to enable it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/51892-all-about-apps2sd-froyo.html#post555200

"In my latest release I enabled apps2sd to work on most apps (even the ones that do not support it yet). Most of your apps will work flawlessly but there are some such as widgets and others that may not. Also you may have other questions about this feature and I will try to answer them as they come."

My question is how did he do this? When I hear the term "most apps", I think of all the apps lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

creamers

Reaction score

Devs have to enable it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/51892-all-about-apps2sd-froyo.html#post555200

"In my latest release I enabled apps2sd to work on most apps (even the ones that do not support it yet). Most of your apps will work flawlessly but there are some such as widgets and others that may not. Also you may have other questions about this feature and I will try to answer them as they come."

My question is how did he do this? When I hear the term "most apps", I think of all the apps lol.

I think he got the source code from cyanogen mods source. Since he is the original author of it.

B

budmonster

Just figured out that Titanium Backup moves pretty much all apps to the sdcard. Problem solved. :)

Tamehome

Reaction score
I've been playing with BB 0.2.1 for a bit with Apps 2 SD left enabled, and it appears that apps will try to be installed into the SD Card instead of into internal memory, whether you're installing from the Market or from an apk directly. The issues that I'm observing now are:
1) It appears that apps installed on the SD can still use some internal memory. You may notice this if you move an app from SD to phone, and the amount of memory being used suddenly jumps up, as if only part of the app was stored on SD. Also, I also noticed that even though apps are installed on SD, my free internal memory still drops.
2) I don't believe the install to SD feature has the same performance as in Android 2.1 App2SD, but rather it degrades performance (or RAM usage) if you install more and more apps. For example, each app that goes the "SD" gets a new secure mount, so if you run "df" to see the mounts, you could have hundreds of mounts after installing hundreds of apps to SD. That doesn't seem efficient.
3) I've installed 300+ apps, and mostly non-widgets, or apps I don't want to see on the home screen. As people have noted, the way that the current launchers load while the SD Card is still being error checked (if you notice the notification at the top of the home screen when the screen first appears), so apparently the apps or app icons can't be loaded, causing the apps not to appear in the drawer, on the home screen, etc. This wasn't an issue with the previous App2SD functionality. Also, I think it takes much longer for the SD Card error check to complete, which again slows everything down.
4) With all these apps installed, I noticed more and more internal process threads (if you use Astro process manager). You can see that there are lots of loopX threads, kcryptd, kcryptd_io, and kdmflush. There's probably a set of these threads created each time a new apps is installed to SD, and this can't be helping performance either.
5) After using Froyo for some time, with BB 0.2.1, it appears that the amount of available RAM has dropped significantly. Before, BB 1.x, I could have 80-100MB free after killing most apps, having widgets, and still running a launcher. Now, with BB .0.2.1, I'm constantly running at 50-60MB, if I kill everything save the launcher. Once a few apps start loading up again, I'm down to 30-40MB free, and the memory handler starts killing off my launcher...! Not good.
6) I must say that general performance on Froyo (on my Droid) is snappier, but likely due to the added memory requirements to run this OS, the Droid, when installing lots of apps (especially to SD), and running a few, Froyo has a lot of overhead. I almost feel like I'm back to my Dash, where I'm struggling to keep a few apps running simultaneously before I have to kill a few apps.
Any comments on this?

mckapet

Reaction score
Re: Apps2SD

I've been playing with BB 0.2.1 for a bit...

<snip>

5) After using Froyo for some time, with BB 0.2.1, it appears that the amount of available RAM has dropped significantly. Before, BB 1.x, I could have 80-100MB free after killing most apps, having widgets, and still running a launcher. Now, with BB .0.2.1, I'm constantly running at 50-60MB, if I kill everything save the launcher. Once a few apps start loading up again, I'm down to 30-40MB free, and the memory handler starts killing off my launcher...! Not good.

I believe that Pete has a setup file somewhere that sets the default amount of free memory to 50Mb. I also *think* you can change this limit, but I have not been able to re-locate where I saw that information originally. {Still looking}

microsnook

Reaction score
Im on launcher pro, how do I just go about restarting it? Force close it?

Nevermind, I found the restart launcher pro in the preferences :icon_eek:

Last edited:

Phxphenom

Reaction score
Ok please give me the script to use in Terminal Emulator. I received an email with Swype Beta which I downloaded from the email, followed directions and got Swype to work. But if I reboot, Swype is no longer an option. I think it may have to do with Apps2SD....I would prefer not to download to the SD card.

Thanks,
Marc (newbie)

Tamehome

Reaction score
I've been playing with BB 0.2.1 for a bit...

<snip>

I believe that Pete has a setup file somewhere that sets the default amount of free memory to 50Mb. I also *think* you can change this limit, but I have not been able to re-locate where I saw that information originally. {Still looking}

Yeah, I did get and ran that script, from BB 1.0 which changes the memory freeing parameters. I changed it to 40mb, and even 30mb, but that's just too little overalll free RAM to run a decent number of apps. BB 0.2.1 also runs hotter, I think from the CPU spiking to 100% for periods at a time, possibly from sync processes (I look at the Astro process manager but can't seem to see which process is taking up the CPU). I think I'll switch back to CM 5.0.6.2+ which simplifies the App2SD design, until Froyo becomes a little better. I do like BB 0.2.1, but with so much overhead, I don't have enough RAM to run my own apps.