Airplane Mode

fallsgable

Reaction score
Sorry, this has probably been posted or asked multiple times, but just became an issue for me...

On a business trip, and Droid in Airplane mode....

Is there ANY way to get Bluetooth while in Airplane mode??

would love to be able to use my S305's on the plane...thanks!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, airplane mode disables all radio signals emanating from the phone, and disables the reception hardware.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I semi disagree.

I don't know the name of it but I have one of those widgets that lets you turn off individual radios.. GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, the actual phone (and brightness).

You should be able to go into Airplane mode, but then turn on one of those radios manually, I believe.

Also, on a recent flight, I put my Droid in airplane mode, but the GPS stayed enabled.

bodean

Reaction score
I semi disagree.

I don't know the name of it but I have one of those widgets that lets you turn off individual radios.. GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, the actual phone (and brightness).

You should be able to go into Airplane mode, but then turn on one of those radios manually, I believe.

Also, on a recent flight, I put my Droid in airplane mode, but the GPS stayed enabled.

The app/widgets is called "Beautiful Widgets"

cpinto

Reaction score
Sorry, this has probably been posted or asked multiple times, but just became an issue for me...

On a business trip, and Droid in Airplane mode....

Is there ANY way to get Bluetooth while in Airplane mode??

would love to be able to use my S305's on the plane...thanks!

Insert Power Control Wigit

When the doors close on the airplane. Turn ON Airplane mode, then turn OFF the phone. Climbing thru 10,000 feet, Crew Announcement, Turn on Phone. Now tap WiFi or Bluetooth to enable that.

Descending thru, 10,000 feet, phone back OFF.

OP
fallsgable

fallsgable

Reaction score

When the doors close on the airplane. Turn ON Airplane mode, then turn OFF the phone. Climbing thru 10,000 feet, Crew Announcement, Turn on Phone. Now tap WiFi or Bluetooth to enable that.

DOES NOT work that way....bluetooth bocked and cannot be enabled in airplane mode....if you turn the phone to airplane mode at takeoff...you CANNOT simply activate the bluetooth from the control widget...it is blocked from functionality....
I am looking for a way to enable just the bluetooth in Airplane mode!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
DOES NOT work that way....bluetooth bocked and cannot be enabled in airplane mode....if you turn the phone to airplane mode at takeoff...you CANNOT simply activate the bluetooth from the control widget...it is blocked from functionality....

I'm fairly certain it's against federal regulations to have a device in the cabin on the plane that is transmitting or receiving a wireless signal, Bluetooth included. Reading the laws, it looks like there's a blanket inclusion of all wireless devices.

I know someone's going to mention planes with Wifi -- I dont know how this works within the law, but I dont think that argument will fly with a stewardess at 40,000 feet.

Edit: It seems that most specific incidences involve the flight crew specifically asking people to not use electronics like this, so it would seem that it's ultimately up to them. My buddy's mom is a flight attendant, and she always keeps an eye out for people using cell phones for any reason and makes them turn them off.

Edit again: International carriers specifically warn passengers against the use of ANY wireless device. As far as domestic travel, in general I would say dont do it. If you want to take the risk, go ahead, but remember that if you're wrong, it's a violation of federal law.

Last edited:

cpinto

Reaction score

I'm sorry, I know Wifi and GPS worked that way, so I assumed BT did as well. I just tried it, and you are correct, BT will not turn on.

Sorry for the mis-info.

cpinto

Reaction score

I'm fairly certain it's against federal regulations to have a device in the cabin on the plane that is transmitting or receiving a wireless signal, Bluetooth included. Reading the laws, it looks like there's a blanket inclusion of all wireless devices.

I know someone's going to mention planes with Wifi -- I dont know how this works within the law, but I dont think that argument will fly with a stewardess at 40,000 feet.

These rules vary by airline, and what is approved for that carrier by the FAA. We have one test aircraft with a limited wifi feature, and you are allowed to turn on your wifi enabled device when told to do so. Only on that aircraft.

Another example is you can't turn on a portable TV, but we have 150 TVs on each aircraft. (One at each seat).

Craig
JetBlue Airways

Erich_F

Reaction score
I was on a trip from Singapore a couple weeks ago, and on the last leg of my trip home, I sat next to a dead-heading senior flight attendant (Delta). So, I wanted to get her take on the whole "airplane mode" thing.

She said that they don't have time to inspect everyone's phone to see if it's in airplane mode or not. If they see you holding a cell-phone looking thing, they will ask to turn it off. She admitted that so many devices are starting to look similar these days. She said she can't tell the difference between phones, PDAs, hand-held games, and MP3 players anymore. I showed her my Droid (in airplane mode), and she admitted to me that she probably would not have thought it was a phone during a routine row check. So, above 10,000 feet, it wouldn't be a target for crew members.

I asked her about airplane mode in general, and she said the company policy is to instruct passengers to turn OFF all phones, airplane mode or not, for the duration of the flight.

So, the moral of this story I think is "use at your own risk". Don't be surprised if you are instructed to turn it off, and don't argue about airplane mode...they don't care.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Another example is you can't turn on a portable TV, but we have 150 TVs on each aircraft. (One at each seat).

Craig
JetBlue Airways

A portable TV is not the same as what's in the aircraft. First, those monitors are on a closed circuit system built into the aircraft, and shielded as appropriate for the installation. Also, those monitors are STC'd and approved by the FAA (for what it's worth). A more appropriate comparison here is the multitude of Laptop screens, and DVD players that are brought on any airplane.

The Portable TV ban is more likely an FCC thing than FAA. Same rationale as the ban on portable radios.

windstrings

Reaction score
I doubt they enable the planes wifi until its safe to do so... at that time, they would clear use for your electronic devices.
They don't want active phone calls while in flight for the sake of being polite to the other customers.... "don't you hate someone yaking for 20 minutes about nothing right next to you?".

But the whole point of airplane mode is to "stop" all transmissions to avoid conflicts with the planes telemetry.... to find a way to turn it back on is like turning off the phone and finding another button to turn it back on..... why turn it off in the first place if you don't intend to really turn it off?

Erich_F

Reaction score
I doubt they enable the planes wifi until its safe to do so... at that time, they would clear use for your electronic devices.
They don't want active phone calls while in flight for the sake of being polite to the other customers.... "don't you hate someone yaking for 20 minutes about nothing right next to you?".

That reminds me...in my conversation with the FA, she also mentioned that use of WiFi on Delta does not allow Skype. While Skype is not directly blocked by the network, FAs are instructed to look for people talking on headsets, and make sure they aren't using the plane's WiFi for VOIP calls.

I really feel sorry for what FAs go through these days, now they have to police up all this geekdom on their aircraft.

windstrings

Reaction score
I'm pretty convinced its just precautionary as far as the radio communications..... if it were any where near critical planes would be going down all over the place due to non compliant clueless customers.

Many don't understand their phone near as much as their coffee maker, and are only capable of utilizing a small fraction of what it will do!
Turn it on, turn it off... talk on it.. thats about it..... "oh, my phone has voice mail?"