Air pockets beneath plastic cover on the back of the open screen

mathiastck

Reaction score
If you open the keyboard, then look at the back of the device, behind the device there is a plastic coating. My wifes phones coating is fine. Mine has little air pockets. I can massage them out, but they return. If I ignore them they get bigger.

I assume the plastic lining helps the slide mechanism.

Also my battery cover sometimes falls off, but its not too bad yet. Can we buy replacement battery covers, perhaps 3rd party?

Erich_F

Reaction score
If you open the keyboard, then look at the back of the device, behind the device there is a plastic coating. My wifes phones coating is fine. Mine has little air pockets. I can massage them out, but they return. If I ignore them they get bigger.

Also my battery cover sometimes falls off, but its not too bad yet. Can we buy replacement battery covers, perhaps 3rd party?

So does mine. Take an X-Acto blade or sewing pin and pierce a tiny hole in the material to let the air out and massage it back down. I would suggest not to remove the material, as it does act as a wear pad to keep the slider from working too loose.

ldimick

Reaction score
Motorola will replace your back cover for free. Go to the droid forum on Motorola.com for details. When my first droid cover fell off I gently pressed in the middle to create a bit more pressure and the problem was solved.

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
I don't even use the keyboard :(

I almost wish they made a model without it.

spalding12

Reaction score
I don't even use the keyboard :(

I almost wish they made a model without it.

i'm with you
i was so excited to have a phone with a keyboard....
but, in the end... this one isn't good... so, i never use it

the keyboard is too flat and asymmetrically-placed to be useful, IMHO, of course

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Lol I'm guessing you guys haven't read the whole "can I take the Plastic off the back" fiasco lol. There's huge threads in the forums I visit regularly about a piece of plastic people are wondering if they should take it off. That plastic is actually there to prevent scratches to the back during production and is absolutely meant to be taken off (only if you want to though). I took mine off and my keyboard slides out but smoother now, beside mine was coming off anyway. So take it off (only if you want to though lol!! As far as the battery cover go did you try lifting the metal piece on the back of the phone up a little, supposedly it's suppose to make the battery Snap in better, I think there's a video on youtube about. I haven't tried it though as mine battery cover seems fine and tight. Worth a try though, you might not have to replace it!

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I took mine off within a minute or two of taking it out of the box. I hate having protective films on things. All they do is make the item look worse (but it's beautiful underneath). Seems so counterproductive to me.

jgmarto

Reaction score
I took the plastic coating off mine the day I got it also. It didn't effect the keyboard at all. It slides in and out just fine and very seldom does it open accidentaly. I rarely use this keyboard for the reasons others have mentioned already. I should mention that the back now has grooves in 6 even lines. It hasn't effected the phones performance as of yet.

:motdroidvert:

masterxchief

Reaction score

Verizon sells the battery cover for $5
Enter your location

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Moto will send you an extra battery cover for free. Goto the moto forums as stated above and there are details. I had one sent to me as a precaution in case I loose mine.

masterxchief

Reaction score
Moto will send you an extra battery cover for free. Goto the moto forums as stated above and there are details. I had one sent to me as a precaution in case I loose mine.

I am on the the forums there but I can't find any information regarding this. Would you happen to have a direct link or know which page of the giant battery cover thread its on?

Edit: Nevermind, You just have to call Motorola and tell them that your battery cover is falling off and they send you a new one.

Last edited:

radioz

Reaction score
My VZW dealer pealed it off along with the other sticky covers when he was preparing my new droid for use. It is meant to be removed.

radioz

Erich_F

Reaction score
My VZW dealer also told me the Droid didn't have WiFi, or how to use GPS...so I don't care what any VZW Counter Jocky says. They don't know much more about the Droid than anyone else.