After market wall charger possess droid

Radio Droid Guy

Reaction score
I recently have discovered some quirks in the charging of the Droid. When I purchased the phone the first day it was released, It came with a wall charger, and I always order the car charger too. Both worked without issue. At some point, I was stuck out of town with only the car charger, and my car has to be running for the cigarette lighter to work. I was trying to charge it up, and had to either start the car with the remote and go 10 minutes before it shut down, or leave my keys in the car and that was uneasy for me to do. After that trip, I bought an adapter that plugged into the wall and the cigarette charger plugged into. Seemed like a handy thing to keep in the car, for just such occasions Well, DROID did NOT like that combination.

It started spiking the phone, unlocking itself and opening programs ... it was like it was possessed. I feared it was going to trash the phone, so I stopped using it.

On a recent trip, I appealingly left my original wall charger at the airport ... at least it never made it home. I went to the Verizon store locally (NOT a factory store but a non direct, Cellular Connection), and purchased a new charger.

The one they sold me looked different, had a big Gumby blue light that lit when it was plugged in, but it fit, and charged. It also reacted like the cigarette adapter did, unlocking and opening apps on the phone on its own. That night, while on the charger, it woke me up to a Youtube Video playing ... it launched itself. Closer inspection, while it fit and charged, the package said it was for a LG / Storm. I took the charger back.

They traded it for another charger that said DROID. At 4am the next morning, (while on the new wall charger) it was opening apps, running programs, texting my contacts gibberish, and calling people on its own. I was awakened to it turning the speakerphone on, and my Droid calling the National Aviation Museum in Pensacola. I was listening to their answering machine and the hours of operation.

I unplugged the phone, and looked at the call log, and discovered 18 calls in a 5 minute stretch, at 4am! The charger was possessing my Droid again.

The Verizon store called Verizon Support, they sent a new phone, we activated it, I immediately took their DROID charger, plugged it in, and it started spiking the phone and opening apps. So I went back to my original phone, that otherwise has been flawless.

I should note, that the cigarette charger in the car NEVER caused these problems (except when plugged into the wall adapter), so now I have to drive around to charge up, until the OEM Factory DROID charger is shipped.

POINT #1: IF YOUR CHARGER STARTS SPIKING YOUR PHONE AND OPENING APPS, IT IS LIKELY NOT YOUR PHONE.

POINT #2: AFTERMARKET CHARGERS ARE NOT WORKING. THEY THEY MAY FIT. THEY MAY EVEN CHARGE ...THEY MAY SAY THEY ARE THE RIGHT CHARGER FOR THE DROID .... DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON THEM.

Trying to explain that even though they look the same and fit, the DROID apparently has some exclusive impedance design that makes their chargers proprietary.

Has anyone else shared this experience?.

mrschmitz

Reaction score
What kind of current could your aftermarket/non-Droid chargers handle? I've noticed charging issues with <=500mA chargers, but no problems at all with cheap chargers that can handle 700-1000mA.