After JB update: Wi-Fi "connecting ..."

TerryS

Reaction score
Can't get Wi-Fi working after todays JB update ... all seems to be normal (except it has deleted one whole screen of shortcuts),
but Wi-Fi still does not work - I restarted the phone a few times, get the APNs working, but no Wi-Fi.
Please help :hail:

tntrucknut

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same issue. I can't help you fix it, but maybe shed some light on why it is happening. Are you you using a DSL router/gateway? I'm using an Actiontec GT724WGR. If I forget the network in WiFI setting, the signal for my network goes to excellent. As soon as I try to connect to the network, the signal drops to poor, therefore not connecting. After some digging, apparently Motorola did not include support for certain routers. My Actiontec being on that list. Would anyone know if the WiFI system files on JB could be replaced with WiFi files from ICS? I assume you would have to have root to do this.

Didn't mean to hijack you thread, just thought I could shed some light on the problem. Here is a list of routers I have found to be incompatible at this time, as per Motorola:

Westell VersaLink 327W
Actiontec Gt724-WG
Netgear DG834GT
Netgear DG934G (Sky Version)
Lynksys WRTP54G
Motorola Netopia 3347-02
Siemens gigaset SE567
Actiontec GT701 -WG

I did try to search for update firmware for my router, with no luck as Actiontec no longer supports the model. I also did a factory reset on the phone, just for giggles. No luck there either.

Last edited:
OP
T

TerryS

Reaction score
thanks tntrucknut,
my router is on that list too,
granted the these are the old ones,
but at least Motorolla could explain what was so deficient in those routers that they could not do anything so keep the support going.

tntrucknut

Reaction score
I agree. Seems the only solution for those listed devices is too replace them. I rent my gateway/router from my ISP, so hopefully they will just swap it out for a newer model. If I owned my router, and had to pay money for a new device, just so my wifi would work........that's a hard pill to swallow. I have been diehard Moto since the original Droid. This is a turn off for me. We have all heard "JellyBean! JellyBean!" Now that I have it, not so much. Guess I shouldn't complain since I still have unlimited data.

I can't speak of the other devices, but my Actiontec GT724WGR has WPA/WPA2 security, versus WEP only. So it is capable of using newer wireless security. I could see not supporting WEP only devices as this protocol is not as secure. By the way, I was not using any security measures on my router, as I live in a rural area and no one is close enough to connect to my network. I setup WPA/WPA2 just to cover my bases and see if it would help. It didn't of course.

Last edited: