ADW fixed my redraw problem.

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I just thought I would post this. I had SERIOUS redraw issues for MONTHS. on 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 stock. With Launcher Pro (and Plus!).

I finally gave ADW a shot and it seemed to fix this. No redraws in 24 hours! I even browsed the web for a while. I didnt really tweak any settings, I just kind og used the default. I am even running the Droid X theme thru ADW on my Original DROID.

It is actually as customizable as Launcher Pro (which I love too), but it is not as smooth IMO.

I even installed most of my 6 or 7 widgets, including Beautiful Widgets back and a Full Screen Calendar Pad Widget and everything is sooo smooth and NO redraws! You have no idea how happy this makes me! That one issue was the only issue I had with Android but it was sooo unnerving I was looking forward to my next phone upgrade (Droid Pro or whatever...) but I may be content with my DROID (Original) now.

Last edited:
OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I know, I probably have jumped the gun on this... but hey, can't I celebrate a little? I have never gone this long w/o a redraw. Even taking it off my multimedia dock it is okay. That has to be a good sign. Even if I get a couple a week, I can tolerate that.

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
Well, it happened once. Apparently I left my camera on in my pocket for a long time and it redrew. But still, I feel slight improvement.

Hopefully my next phone corrects this once and for all. I hate Apple, but I can't see the newest iPhone being released with a glitch like this. Or not even a glitch, a bad design.
(Yes, the antenna, well, I am talking about software, as BORING and DULL as iOS is, it is very smooth. Too bad you can't do anything with it.)

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I know, I probably have jumped the gun on this... but hey, can't I celebrate a little? I have never gone this long w/o a redraw. Even taking it off my multimedia dock it is okay. That has to be a good sign. Even if I get a couple a week, I can tolerate that.

Haha, yeah redraws are just going to happen with Froyo unfortunately. Not a whole lot you can do to prevent them, beyond never opening an app haha. There are some settings that help here and there, but nothing foolproof to prevent them 100% of the time. Even the stock Launcher gets redraws. Other phones that are better (on paper at least), get redraws.

I know I would be using ADW right now if I were to get tons of redraws on LP and none of the fixes actually fixed it. I have seen a few people report going from ADW to LP for the same reason, and allegedly solving their issue. As long as you are happy with your device that is all that matters.

Also....noooooo....don't become a fruity person (Apple user :p ).

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
I keep reading about redraws. What exactly are they? How do they manifest themselves?

Reaction score
I've been using ADW for the last week and really haven't noticed a single redraw. 2.2 on Droid1 was driving me nuts with it's home refresh delays.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I keep reading about redraws. What exactly are they? How do they manifest themselves?

Redraw is when you go to your homescreen and there is nothing there for a short period of time, and things slowly come back. Widgets, shortcuts, even launcher buttons all gone.

What is happening basically is when you are using an app, Android dedicates resources to it. Your launcher attempts to stay in memory, but if the application you are in requires that memory to function smoothly, then the Launcher gets axed. So then you close out of the app, and go back to your home screen and your launcher has to start itself up again essentially. Most launchers have options that allow them to be one of the last things to close, but that still doesn't cure it. Even phones with better specs than the Droid will fail from time to time. It is the nature of the beast with multitasking with very little RAM.

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score

Redraw is when you go to your homescreen and there is nothing there for a short period of time, and things slowly come back. Widgets, shortcuts, even launcher buttons all gone.

What is happening basically is when you are using an app, Android dedicates resources to it. Your launcher attempts to stay in memory, but if the application you are in requires that memory to function smoothly, then the Launcher gets axed. So then you close out of the app, and go back to your home screen and your launcher has to start itself up again essentially. Most launchers have options that allow them to be one of the last things to close, but that still doesn't cure it. Even phones with better specs than the Droid will fail from time to time. It is the nature of the beast with multitasking with very little RAM.

So what is the amount of RAM we need in order to eliminate this. 512? 1 G?

It is also interesting that the Stock Launcher is ever axed. Bad design. Its not an app and should not be axed. I can see the Third Party Launchers have this problem, not the Stock!

Anyhow, I got three more redraws with ADW today--but I noticed it was after I got bold and added Beautiful Widgets. I have since removed it and no redraws....yet.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As far as i can tell, Widgets are the primary thing to get redrawn. If my screen is all icons (which is boring) there is nary a redraw.

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6

Ah. Thanks!

I have seen that, but only when updating or generally messing around with ADW itself.

lmdodds

Reaction score
im giving adw a try but i cant for the life of me figure out how to change it from 5 screens to 7. ive always used 7 screens with launcher pro. i have a 7slot kernal but i cant find where to change the number of screens in the adw options :(

dwagner88

Reaction score
Ever since I switched to Sapphire, my redraws have totally stopped. I only get them now when I pull the phone out of the dock in the morning, which is expected because the phone's orientation changes when I do this.