Add another Droid to the Army of Droids

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
Hi,
Had my Moto Droid for a month, Never had a iphone so this is my first smartphone.

Currently I use a screen protector on the my droid with new upgraded car dock case combo.

Had the shell hoslter combo, but didnt like the rigid feel of it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the army:icon_ banana: You'll find there's no consensus on case or screen protectors so just do what you want:icon_ banana: that's what Android is about. Personally I use both because I like the feel and looks and a little extra protection never hurts.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome soldier: )

Enjoy the forums and most importantly enjoy the Droid.

baniels

Reaction score
...Never had a iphone so this is my first smartphone..

I would just like to point out that there were many smartphones before the iPhone.

I have never had an iPhone, but the Droid is hardly my first smartphone.

Welcome to the forum, in any case. This is the place to be.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

I would just like to point out that there were many smartphones before the iPhone.

Many people, myself included don't consider the iphone a 'smartphone' (it really depends on your definition of a smartphone) and I'm still on the fence whether the Droid fits the bill or not. Don't get me wrong (no need for flaming) I LOVE the phone and what's behind it but there are a LOT of small and, arguably essential things that the phone doesn't do that many people would expect a 'smartphone' to do. (okay, flamers go ahead, I know you won't be able to resist...:icon_ devil:).

baniels

Reaction score

Many people, myself included don't consider the iphone a 'smartphone' (it really depends on your definition of a smartphone) and I'm still on the fence whether the Droid fits the bill or not. Don't get me wrong (no need for flaming) I LOVE the phone and what's behind it but there are a LOT of small and, arguably essential things that the phone doesn't do that many people would expect a 'smartphone' to do. (okay, flamers go ahead, I know you won't be able to resist...:icon_ devil:).

Not looking to flame. What are the things are you talking about?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Not looking to flame. What are the things are you talking about?

he!! where to begin...

• Basic document editing/support
  • Calendar features (lack there of, there's a LOT here that's missing)
  • Printing (lack of wi-fi printing support)
  • Basic email features (attachment handling (or lack thereof) mass emailing, forwarding, no embedded image support, no calendar integration (i.e. invites accepting invites ect)
  • POOR exchange support for email and calendars (that aren't google based)
  • Poor integration of included features (email and calendar interfaces are crude at best)
Just a few off the top of my head. There's a lot more. I know a few of the items are addressed with apps but even then it's very lacking for many people and falls short of even basic/cheap WM versions and WELL short of a well cooked ROM. That and it's a BS to HAVE to pay $$$ to get what should be standard FEATURES at least for a 'smart-phone.' To be honest IMHO the Droid (like the iPhone) is really more of media-device (some call them semi-smart phones) than a true smart-phone. But again, that will vary on your definition and what you're looking to do with it. But with that said I have no plans on returning to WM (for now). I'm not needing most of those 'business' features at the moment so I'm good.

OP
GuiltyBreak

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
thanks for the replies and welcomes, Love the Droid my wife got the Droid Eris. Whatever the Droid is considered it can do it all.