Acer v Asus v Toshiba

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not sure what forum to put this in.

Broke the screen on my Toshiba Thrive.
I am one of the most techiest people I know and rarely if ever ask for advice. But I would really love to get your thoughts on the three tablets I am considering to replace my Thrive.

Trying to keep it under $400. These are all competitive with each other.

Acer Iconia A510
Asus XFormer TF300t
Toshiba Excite 10

I WAS leaning towards the Toshiba as I had a great experience with the Thrive, and it is spec'ed pretty well. BUT Toshiba is mum on a JB update where the other 2 have it already.
Found the other 2 slightly cheaper then the Excite, as well.
No way I pay this much more for an Excite.

A510, $329
TF300 $339
Excite $379

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have the Thrive and love it but my sister and brother got the Acer 210 when it was on 1saleaday. I am almost jealous. The display is much brighter, crisper, clearer than my thrive. The specs are very similar. I can imagine the 510 is even better.

I know when I was looking at the Thrive last year, the Iconia and transformer were also on my watch list as equal possibilities. The only reason I went with the Thrive is my choice was based on whichever of the three I could get less than $300 and the Thrive was the first to win that competition.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Our those tablets, the Asus is the one I would choose. I personally avoid Acer like the plague as my luck with them hasn't been great and any other computers I deal with from that company.

If you want a great tablet under $400 would you consider the Nexus 7? The Nexus 10 starts off at $399, a few dollars over your budget, but I heard very good things about that as well.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Stupid question...but do you have to have a cell plan/data plan for the nexus 7?

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No you don't need a data plan.

Not a big fan of Acer either but the Icnoia actually gets great reviews. I'd never consider another Acer product after I had a bad experience myself.

No I will not consider any Nexus device. First off I want a 9 or 10. Second I will not buy a tablet without a memory card slot. I would LOVE a Nexus but I will not support them since they dumped memory cards.
I like to speak with my dollars. Sure a 32GB tablet is noce, but a 32gb + 32gb = 64 gb is even nicer...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Not a big fan of Acer either but the Icnoia actually gets great reviews. I'd never consider another Acer product after I had a bad experience myself.

No I will not consider any Nexus device. First off I want a 9 or 10. Second I will not buy a tablet without a memory card slot. I would LOVE a Nexus but I will not support them since they dumped memory cards.
I like to speak with my dollars. Sure a 32GB tablet is noce, but a 32gb + 32gb = 64 gb is even nicer...
Fair enough was just wondering if that was an option. I use to think I needed that much memory but for me that wasn't the case.

Good luck deciding! Never got my hands on the Toshiba but the Asus is very nice as well.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Stupid question...but do you have to have a cell plan/data plan for the nexus 7?

Only for the data version.

Two wifi models available: 16 & 32gb. $199 & $249 respectively

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks dezy. This might actually work well for my mom.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
The Excite takes a 128gb! 160GB tablet? Insane.
No JB though. I don't have to have the latest and greatest, but I want to at least start with JB.
Boss has the Asus and the dock so no stranger to that.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks dezy. This might actually work well for my mom.
If you do get her one I'm sure she'll love it. How is she with technology? My parents if I get them one, it'd be the best cupholder they'll ever have:D

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
We got her a pc about ten years ago... that she swore she wanted nothing to do with. Now she complains because she can't get on due to my dad using it more. A tablet would solve her problems. She thought she was not tech savvy but she loves it. I just set her up with a router so she would have wifi access. I can see her spending a lot of time on it including bragging to us kids about what she can do with it.

Sent from my AT100 using Droid Forums

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
$399.99 Nexus 10 16 GB on the Google Play Store.

Just upgraded from the Motorola Xoom WiFi to this...

2560x1600 display, 2 Gb ram, OS 4.2, a pure Google/Nexus device.

Detonation

Reaction score

Even though it doesn't have a memory slot, I'm sure the microusb port has host functionality like on the Nexus 7, meaning you can use a USB OTG cable to plug in a flash drive or external hard drive to expand the storage space. Not quite as streamlined as an internal card slot, but the Nexus 10 is hands down the best buy for the price.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I was thinking the same thing. I'm certain a usb flash drive would work and that would be the perfect compromise.