According to MOT they dont support OWA

sterdroids

Reaction score
DROID - Exchange Email Troubleshooting

Speak to a tech today and he gave me this link and said look at the last line of the link which is below in quotes that i have attached

"Note: You cannot connect to an OWA server using the steps above. OWA is a different protocol than Exchange and is designed for use in a browser, not a mobile device."

Is this true. Does anyone out there get their mail from OWA and is able to download attachments? Thats what I want to do and cannot :(

Droids

Reaction score
I can access OWA fine but cannot save attachments. Tries to but fails with "Download unsuccessful".

I tried .doc .xlsx .zip and all fail to download. If I use the exchange client on the Droid I can at least preview the documents but no option from there to save to the Droid. I can forward the email with attachment to a gmail account and the attachment forwards fine but still cannot save it to the Droid.

Last edited:

SpencerC

Reaction score
I can access OWA fine but cannot save attachments. Tries to but fails with "Download unsuccessful".

I tried .doc .xlsx .zip and all fail to download. If I use the exchange client on the Droid I can at least preview the documents but no option from there to save to the Droid. I can forward the email with attachment to a gmail account and the attachment forwards fine but still cannot save it to the Droid.

Yes it works with OWA. Mine does at least. Some people are having issues with it, but it has to do with their IT dept's security settings within OWA that is not currently supported that I know of.

I entered my domain account using this naming convention "domain\username" and of couse used my domain password. For the Exchange server field I entered my owa address minus the https:// in front of the URL

At first I could not open attachments either but found a thread somewhere that said to turn off the "accept all SSL certificates" setting. Once doing this, I could open attachments.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates. It sucks. I cannot open attacments from OWA and I can not forward attachments from exchange using email app. So i have 1/2 function from each way :( Makes it cumbersome.

So you are saying its on my companies end thats why its not working? If they dont make a change somewhere it will never work?

I tried touchdown for the exchange side of things but that didnt help still couldnt forward attachments.

thanks for the help!

SpencerC

Reaction score
You know what you are right. I cannot forward an email that has an attachment from my exchange account to my gmail account.

If you look thru these forums, I have found several posts regarding exchange email. And serveral problems have been pointed out. They also point to open cases that have been opened with google for app fixes. So don't fret, I think they will fix this stuff soon.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
sweet that sounds great but my vzw 30 day clock is tickin ;)
here is to 12-11-09 or there a bouts.

Its weird though some say no problem and then we cant. I guess it is on the companies end. I just doubt they will dig deep into it unless alot of poeple have the same issue and i guess they will as people are getting these devices like hotcakes.

thanks again for the encouragement

SpencerC

Reaction score
As an IT systems administrator, I have found that the only truly reliable and fully supported corporate email mobile device is a blackberry running on a blackberry enterprise server. I've had BB's, windows mobile devices, and now the droid. You just cannot beat a blackberry for corporate email.

Unfortunately my current company won't provide me with a BB as I am a contractor. So I have been using a Treo for a couple of years now. It worked OK for corporate email but everything else sucked on it. This Droid rocks compared to my Treo and it does what I need right now for email.

If a user came to me and asked if I would recommend the Droid for corporate email, my answer would be no, get a blackberry.

That is, until, or if, they fix the known issues with exchange support. The ultimate problem is that they, like windows mobile and other PDA's are using OWA for exchange access. Blackberry Enterprise Server is hosted by the local IT and talks directly to exchange to then push data to the handheld device.

OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
As an IT systems administrator, I have found that the only truly reliable and fully supported corporate email mobile device is a blackberry running on a blackberry enterprise server. I've had BB's, windows mobile devices, and now the droid. You just cannot beat a blackberry for corporate email.

Unfortunately my current company won't provide me with a BB as I am a contractor. So I have been using a Treo for a couple of years now. It worked OK for corporate email but everything else sucked on it. This Droid rocks compared to my Treo and it does what I need right now for email.

If a user came to me and asked if I would recommend the Droid for corporate email, my answer would be no, get a blackberry.

That is, until, or if, they fix the known issues with exchange support. The ultimate problem is that they, like windows mobile and other PDA's are using OWA for exchange access. Blackberry Enterprise Server is hosted by the local IT and talks directly to exchange to then push data to the handheld device.

I know i know BB is where its at for email but I cant do it for some reason.
The WinMo setup I had for 5 years worked great and I figured I could get at least what I had with the Droid but I cant get the OWA to Download which makes me crazy! But we shall see hopefully it all falls into place.

thanks for the info!

SpencerC

Reaction score
You know, one thing I found interesting during the set up for exchange was the frequency that it checks for email. I currently have mine set to "Automatic (push)". It really should say "constantly check OWA for email and pull while wearing my battery down" The reason BB is truly push is because the BES (blackberry enterprise server) is doing the constant interaction with exchange and then pushes the data to the mobile device. Any handheld using OWA is always doing a pull. No way around it.

mike_kauble

Reaction score
I thought with Activesync on Exchange it *is* doing a push.

My battery lasts as long as most people here. I can't believe it's truly checking constantly. Especially when my Droid gets email before it hits my Outlook.

mike_kauble

Reaction score

My battery lasts as long as most people here. I can't believe it's truly checking constantly. Especially when my Droid gets email before it hits my Outlook.

From Microsoft:

Direct Push
1ptrans.gif

Mobile devices incorporating Exchange ActiveSync maintain a secure connection with Exchange Server 2007, receiving new or updated e-mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks as soon as they arrive on the server. This push method optimizes bandwidth usage while keeping users up-to-date.

Droids

Reaction score

From Microsoft:

Direct Push
1ptrans.gif

Mobile devices incorporating Exchange ActiveSync maintain a secure connection with Exchange Server 2007, receiving new or updated e-mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks as soon as they arrive on the server. This push method optimizes bandwidth usage while keeping users up-to-date.
Correct. The Droid corporate email app is an exchange client, and email is pushed to it. The app has nothing to do with OWA, which is accessed through a web browser. 2 completely different means of accessing corporate email. OWA is not push.

Using the Droid email app I can open attachments fine, I cannot save them to the Droid. If you cannot even open them, then you need to go into account settings and disable 'Accept all SSL certificates', while leaving 'Use secure connection (SSL)' enabled. You should be able to open them, but will not be able to save them. No work around for this issue yet.

If I have an email in my exchange inbox with a Word document attached, I can open it but not save, ok? If I forward that email to a gmail account, the attachment goes along for the ride just fine. I've heard some say they could not forward attachments. But I still have the same issue, I can open and read the attachment on the Droid but cannot save it to the Droid.

If I open a web browser, either the default app or Dolphin, I can log into OWA and read mail just fine. But there doesn't seem to be any way to even preview the attachment using OWA, and trying to download the attachment through the browser to the Droid fails.

So, OWA on the Droid is flawed a bit because I cannot even open an attachment. At least I can open it on the Droid using the corporate email app, the exchange client. But in either case it does not seem possible to save an attachment to the Droid.

One other thing, I've read some folks stating that the gmail client on the Droid is pulling email in. It's not. The gmail server is pushing email to the Droid, same as exchange using ActiveSync. If you have a pop account or a web based email account (other than gmail) then the Droid mail client needs to go out and check for new mail. If all you use is gmail and exchange (with ActiveSync enabled on the server), all mail is pushed to the Droid.

Last edited:
OP
S

sterdroids

Reaction score
Correct. The Droid corporate email app is an exchange client, and email is pushed to it. The app has nothing to do with OWA, which is accessed through a web browser. 2 completely different means of accessing corporate email. OWA is not push.

Using the Droid email app I can open attachments fine, I cannot save them to the Droid. If you cannot even open them, then you need to go into account settings and disable 'Accept all SSL certificates', while leaving 'Use secure connection (SSL)' enabled. You should be able to open them, but will not be able to save them. No work around for this issue yet.

If I have an email in my exchange inbox with a Word document attached, I can open it but not save, ok? If I forward that email to a gmail account, the attachment goes along for the ride just fine. I've heard some say they could not forward attachments. But I still have the same issue, I can open and read the attachment on the Droid but cannot save it to the Droid.

If I open a web browser, either the default app or Dolphin, I can log into OWA and read mail just fine. But there doesn't seem to be any way to even preview the attachment using OWA, and trying to download the attachment through the browser to the Droid fails.

So, OWA on the Droid is flawed a bit because I cannot even open an attachment. At least I can open it on the Droid using the corporate email app, the exchange client. But in either case it does not seem possible to save an attachment to the Droid.

Thanks for your input!! I fall into the arena where I can see OWA but cannot download attachments and on exchange I download attachments (with Docs 2 go) but no matter what I try I cannot forward them. :(

M1dnite

Reaction score

Thanks for your input!! I fall into the arena where I can see OWA but cannot download attachments and on exchange I download attachments (with Docs 2 go) but no matter what I try I cannot forward them. :(

Could be an IT policy, thats how it is set up here. If you are not on or work computer you cannot download attachments from OWA. Hell, I cant even access OWA from my DROID but I can from my Iphone... hmmm..

heem

Reaction score
Mike, that's not quite how it works. Once you sync once with exchange, it simply keeps open a connection - an idle connection to your exchange server.

So it's not checking over and over again - exchange actually activates the connection when you get a new email.