Accidental Nano Test

Zandar

Reaction score
My wife and I were out with some friends this weekend murdering a tree for our Yuletide enjoyment. It was a perfect tree-cutting day (in my opinion, at least): 15 degrees, light snow, and hardly any wind. Needless to say, the RAZR was in form serving as both the camera and the GPS tracker (MyTracks is great for these sorts of things; you can't get lost, and you can mark/photo potential trees on your way). I was relishing in the "nano-coating" due to some light snowfall on the device, thinking, "that's cool that I don't have to worry about it getting wet."

Then it happened. A fumble while taking a photo. As the RAZR slipped from my hands and fell towards the ground, I reached down to catch it. I missed the catch, but bobbled it back up into the air giving me a second chance at saving my beloved piece of tech. I missed again. The svelte slab of gray and black dropped to the forest floor, back first, into a drift of snow. I almost started crying (I know; I have a problem).

Tentatively, I reached down and fished the phone out of the snow. It was covered; you couldn't even see the phone due to the snow sticking to it. I'm talking snowball-submerged here. When I brushed it off, with baited breath, I found it was still on and working perfectly. I dried it off and we moved on with finding a tree to kill.

Kevlar+nano win. The phone has had zero issues; not even a scratch. This thing just gets better and better!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My wife and I were out with some friends this weekend murdering a tree for our Yuletide enjoyment. It was a perfect tree-cutting day (in my opinion, at least): 15 degrees, light snow, and hardly any wind. Needless to say, the RAZR was in form serving as both the camera and the GPS tracker (MyTracks is great for these sorts of things; you can't get lost, and you can mark/photo potential trees on your way). I was relishing in the "nano-coating" due to some light snowfall on the device, thinking, "that's cool that I don't have to worry about it getting wet."

Then it happened. A fumble while taking a photo. As the RAZR slipped from my hands and fell towards the ground, I reached down to catch it. I missed the catch, but bobbled it back up into the air giving me a second chance at saving my beloved piece of tech. I missed again. The svelte slab of gray and black dropped to the forest floor, back first, into a drift of snow. I almost started crying (I know; I have a problem).

Tentatively, I reached down and fished the phone out of the snow. It was covered; you couldn't even see the phone due to the snow sticking to it. I'm talking snowball-submerged here. When I brushed it off, with baited breath, I found it was still on and working perfectly. I dried it off and we moved on with finding a tree to kill.

Kevlar+nano win. The phone has had zero issues; not even a scratch. This thing just gets better and better!

The full-dunk in snow at 15 degrees is one thing, but don't try that with the sink or toilet!! :D

OP
Z

Zandar

Reaction score
The full-dunk in snow at 15 degrees is one thing, but don't try that with the sink or toilet!! :D
Oh, I don't intend to; but then again I never intended on tossing my RAZR in the snow, either. I know my wife's OG Droid had taken a couple of swims in its time, and it kept ticking just fine (I had done a battery pull and stuck it in a bag with desiccants both times, though).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Oh, I don't intend to; but then again I never intended on tossing my RAZR in the snow, either. I know my wife's OG Droid had taken a couple of swims in its time, and it kept ticking just fine (I had done a battery pull and stuck it in a bag with desiccants both times, though).

Yeah, that's the way to do it, however we don't have the luxury of a battery pull here, unless you are willing to open the case and have a T5 Torx driver handy. Problem is, by the time you get it open and pulled, the damage may have already been done. Let's hope that nano coating inside and out prevents harm.

fauxreall

Reaction score
glad to hear yer fones working well!

*rolls eyes* incase anyones curious. already accidentally did that here. immediately dove in and got i out. worked fine after i dried it but made sure i turned it off and did rice bag and a tiny bit of blowdrying. works perfectly. hopefully not jinxing it.

RecklessFable

Reaction score
The thing that finally killed my first OG Droid was that the power button succumbed to sweat. I hope the nano-coating does a better job, but this is, after all, a moving part. Wear and tear + salt = eventual corrosion.