A Tough Decision - Verizon

barski

Reaction score
just want to get some opinions or see if anyone else has a plan like this.

ok with the recent release of the droid x im considering taking the incredible in (when i get it:icon_evil:) to get the X.

but now the iphone for verizon is supposed to be released (easy tiger) as well as 4 new verizon smart phones running droid are expected yet this year or early next year. With talks of a 2ghz processor coming with some of these phones and possibly for verizons LTE 4g network its a very hard decision.

My biggest thing is i dont want to get a new phone then have a new phone come out a couple months later that will just kill it like a 2ghz vs 1ghz and also work verizon's 4g network. Then i will be stuck with a lower end smart phone as well as no 4g.:icon_eek:

Anyone else going to wait it out for the next new droids?

sic0048

Reaction score
I think I am waiting it out. But I currently don't have a personal cell, only a work phone. I was considering getting a personal phone when the Droid X came out. But given the fact that it is likely to have its bootloader encrypted, I'm not wanting to jump right in. I'll be waiting to see what happens on the bootloader front as well as see what other phones are released.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

My biggest thing is i dont want to get a new phone then have a new phone come out a couple months later that will just kill it like a 2ghz vs 1ghz and also work verizon's 4g network. Then i will be stuck with a lower end smart phone as well as no 4g.:icon_eek:

Thats gonna happen no matter what phone you get or when you get it..

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

ok with the recent release of the droid x im considering taking the incredible in (when i get it:icon_evil:) to get the X.

but now the iphone for verizon is supposed to be released (easy tiger) as well as 4 new verizon smart phones running droid are expected yet this year or early next year. With talks of a 2ghz processor coming with some of these phones and possibly for verizons LTE 4g network its a very hard decision.

Ok, first you should cancel your order and get the X. If you trade it in Verizon will charge you a 35.00 restocking charge.

Second, no matter what you do something is going to come along a month or two later that is better then what you have. You cannot keep up with the new model phones.

Verizon is not going with a 4g network, rather it is going with something they call LTE. Completion of this network for all current coverage areas won't be finished until 2014. It's going to start in 2011.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I strongly suspect that when VZW has 4g phones and network upgrades to support them (in at least a few places), they will provide a relatively economical upgrade path even for those who are still tied to a long-term contract. After all, they will undoubtedly increase the price for access to the 4G network compared to the current unlimited data plan.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score

Ok, first you should cancel your order and get the X. If you trade it in Verizon will charge you a 35.00 restocking charge.

Second, no matter what you do something is going to come along a month or two later that is better then what you have. You cannot keep up with the new model phones.

Verizon is not going with a 4g network, rather it is going with something they call LTE. Completion of this network for all current coverage areas won't be finished until 2014. It's going to start in 2011.

the only thing im a little leery about on the x is its size. that beast is a good chunk taller than a pop can. has anyone had a X in there hand? if so how'd it feel?

A.Brooks

Reaction score
I would cancel your order and get the X, or if you have the original droid, cancel your order and just hold on for a few months, that's what I'm doing. I want to see what happens with this next wave of phones that blows the iPhone4 out of the water.

mikes

Reaction score
Verizon is not going with a 4g network, rather it is going with something they call LTE.
LTE is a 4g technology. Verizon and AT&T are committed to LTE, Sprint is using WiMax.

Tmobile is calling HSPA+ (about 1/5 the speed of LTE or WiMax) "4G," which is a big stretch.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First off I doubt you will see a iphone on verizon until they make the switch over to LTE. And if it's the same iphone they are selling now, doubt you would want one anyways because of the problems they have been having.

Not only are there 2Ghz phones coming out most likely end of year to early next year, but qualcom i believe it is, is coming out with the dual-core processors as 1.2Ghz each core. So no matter what your looking at pretty good phones. I believe the dual-core is slated to arrive before the 2Ghz (from what a few experts are predicting.. might not be 100% true).

If your not planning on rooting the droid then the encrypted bootloader doesn't matter so much. But you should think about it before you order goes through, unless you don't mind paying the 35$ fee.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
by then i hope they also have a new battery technology that will last a couple of days. sounds like the incredible isnt very incredible when it comes to battery life and reception, and now they are getting sony screens put in them due to samsung not being able to keep up. I'm leaning more and more towards the X every day.

Last edited:

sroach23

Reaction score

the only thing im a little leery about on the x is its size. that beast is a good chunk taller than a pop can. has anyone had a X in there hand? if so how'd it feel?

go to a store and check out the evo. my brother has an evo and it isnt too big. its around the same size as an x and fits into my jean pockets with ease.

iPirate

Reaction score
Dude just keep waiting for the next phone to come out and keep waiting for the iphone to come to verizon(do you seriously think verizon would let something that poorly made pass its tests....)

Maybe one day in the next 50 years you could settle on a phone

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, you have one article late last week saying IPhone was dead, primarily because of it's quality issues, then a Bloomberg article the other day citing several unnamed sources saying January 2011.

Personally, VZW doesn't need Jobs' BS and he's an arrogant, stubborn son-of-a-gun. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an IPhone on VZW, although from their perspective they could capture even more market share since for most there would be no reason to remain with AT&T.

I'd take the EVO or X over Incredible. If you have a Droid (like me), I would wait. I might wait even longer to see how these new phones with the processors on steroids perform (although I doubt there will be any major issues).

With LTE launching in 2011 and not being completed until 2014, I would think when it comes to your area would be a major consideration. If your area doesn't get it until late 2012 or longer, maybe get a new phone and then do a standard or early upgrade 1-2yrs later when LTE hits your area.

Droid is kicking but with Froyo, and I think we may eventually get Gingerbread which will probably be the last Android update pushes to us (figure future releases will exploit the bigger horsepower in new phones). Stick in a 32gig SD card when prices become more reasonable and I think I can ride this Droid another 12-18 months, or at least until the battery starts to fade.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Dude just keep waiting for the next phone to come out and keep waiting for the iphone to come to verizon(do you seriously think verizon would let something that poorly made pass its tests....)

Maybe one day in the next 50 years you could settle on a phone

Normally that would be the case. But consider what's about to happen. Last Summer the iPhone 3GS and HTC Hero came out and the phones that followed 6 months or so later were the Nexus One, Motorola Droid, and Droid Incredible. Not a big leap over the previous batch.

But the phones that are coming will be AT LEAST twice as fast with either a doubling of clock speeds and dual processors. Not only that, but they'll be LTE compatible also.

In this case waiting 6 months will bring a SIGNIFICANT boost in processor performance and data speeds. Dual core tech is a physical enhancement that can't be matched by overclocking and ROMs, the stuff released now will be out of date... big time. The same goes for LTE if you live in an area that gets it. I live in NoVA/DC so I'm pretty sure that LTE will be here in November.

Waiting until Dec/Jan will bring huge tech rewards. I say wait.

cuskit

Reaction score
On this mornings news: Verizon Wireless Said to Start Offering IPhone in January - Bloomberg

Sounds pretty positive this time. After that fiasco with Steve failing to make a connection during his demonstration - I'm thinking that might have been a pivotal point in Apple's decision to go with VZW.

I could be wrong.. :icon_ banana:

A post back a few in this thread mentioned the iPhone not being well made. While I agree their system may/may not come up short against the Android system, having owned Apple product since 1984 - I have to say their hardware is amongst the most solid built units I've ever owned.

Just saying.. :) mikey (stickin' with my Droid) For now.. :)