A simple way to root on a mac?

Reaction score
I know this most likely has been posted many times before but I havent really found one.
Is there any simple way to root from a mac computer most of the downloads i saw were for windows. or am i looking at the wrong things?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know this most likely has been posted many times before but I havent really found one.
Is there any simple way to root from a mac computer most of the downloads i saw were for windows. or am i looking at the wrong things?

I don't believe there is an easy way to root a Droid simply on a mac. If you run windows in bootcamp you might be able to do it with the latest install of Froyo. I tried it with a virtual machine and I had to use a pc to runs RSD Lite and install SPRecovery. It fails on a virtual machine but I'll bet it will work with bootcamp.

After that I installed Froyo and it comes with root.

gt_nfr

Reaction score
^Yup, I had to use bootcamp and install Vista on a separate partition to root my phone...yeah I went through a lot to get this bay rooted haha.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Other options:

If you have access to a friends PC
Install VMWare or Parallels then Windows.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^Yup, I had to use bootcamp and install Vista on a separate partition to root my phone...yeah I went through a lot to get this bay rooted haha.

Actually thanks for confirming boot camp. That was a guess on my part, you are the first person I know who has verified it.

Uinluan

Reaction score
Actually, I rooted my phone two days ago using a Windows 7 Virtual Machine running inside of VMware Fusion for the Mac. It was very straight forward. Yes RSDLite need Windows but my Windows 7 Virutal Machine took care of that requirement

durrell

Reaction score
I definitely don't recommend trying to root using a virtual machine. It is a huge pain. I tried rooting on my Mac first using VirtualBox + Win7, but the virtual machine wouldn't reconnect with the phone after it had been flashed using RSDLite. Definitely just use BootCamp and save yourself the heartache.