A quarter of my Droid's screen died

yiannis

Reaction score
The right side of the screen in the portrait orientation became non-functional on Friday. Have you ever seen something like that happen?

Verizon replaced mine with another device which also seemed a lot more responsive.

I wonder whether others had issue with the Droid's screen after heavy use or if it was just mine?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this before. Not sure what you're considering 'heavy use' but I assure you there's a LOT of people out there using the H3LL out of their device. But still these are MASS produced products so there will be lots of bad units that make it through the QC checks (if there are any...). Thankfully such things are covered under the manufacturer warranty for a full year:icon_ banana: and then there's insurance (or upgrade options).

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score
Heavy use =

1) media playing in moist room (while i am having a shower)
2) 180 levels of RoboDefense in 120 days
3) Lots of internet browsing
4) very oily fingers

Any ideas on these?

What insurance and upgrade options exist once the manufacturer's warranty expires?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Heavy use =

4) very oily fingers

Any ideas on these?

What insurance and upgrade options exist once the manufacturer's warranty expires?

1) this is likely your problem... there have been a few issue of the LCD not being 'sealed' correctly (bust can get in). These devices are not meant to run in such environments
2) Good progress but nothing major. There's some people out there that use the device literally the entire time they're up for gaming (especially devs)
3) Not a problem in the least, though get a good browser to make it easier on you (xScope is great)
4) shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep the screen clean (wipe if a few times a day.

As to the options after warranty you should be carrying the insurance anyway as the warranty doesn't cover damage (including water damage), theft, ect. The $89 deductible is a LOT cheaper than the $500 list price of the phone. After the warranty period any instance of the phone not working will be grounds for a claim. At around 18mnths you'll be eligible for an 'early upgrade' so instead of replacing the phone you will have the option to just get a new one (of course this means renewing your contract).

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score
Heavy use =

4) very oily fingers

Any ideas on these?

1) this is likely your problem... there have been a few issue of the LCD not being 'sealed' correctly (bust can get in). These devices are not meant to run in such environments
2) Good progress but nothing major. There's some people out there that use the device literally the entire time they're up for gaming (especially devs)
3) Not a problem in the least, though get a good browser to make it easier on you (xScope is great)
4) shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep the screen clean (wipe if a few times a day.

As to the options after warranty you should be carrying the insurance anyway as the warranty doesn't cover damage (including water damage), theft, ect. The $89 deductible is a LOT cheaper than the $500 list price of the phone. After the warranty period any instance of the phone not working will be grounds for a claim. At around 18mnths you'll be eligible for an 'early upgrade' so instead of replacing the phone you will have the option to just get a new one (of course this means renewing your contract).

Thanks for the advice. I realized that I am paying the 1.99/mo to extend the manufacturer's warranty. Not quite the same but anyway.

The occurence was really bizarre. Before the right side of the screen froze completely, the phone had become unstable and any page that I opened would be moving up and down on its own as if an invisible random finger was touching the screen all over the place. The problem persisted on the logo on screen even after removing the battery and rebooting.

My gf and I were having an atheism vs god discussion just prior to this occuring. Further this last week my computer was having BSOD issues, which just after that discussion ended in a simple message: "Hardware malfunction: Contact your hardware vendor". It has not restarted since.

:icon_ devil:

modette

Reaction score
Except to me that is flawed logic.

$89 Deductiable
Is it not like $5.99 a month also
Total for a year would mean $160.88

ETF $350 - $120 (it goes down $10 a month) = $230

hmmm so for another $69.12 I can just be out of my contract, and get whatever NEW phone I want...LOL Yeah...I'll go that route and skip insurance. If I break the phone due to something I do...then I'll look for that used Droid...or reactivate my old phone.

Remember people insurance is banking on that you NEVER make a claim, after all they are in the business to make money. Not to pay out claims. I have a digital camera I paid $500 for...never insured it...wifes camera was $300 never insured it. I guess I could run around an insure everything...but why!!! Int he big picture I have saved so much money NOT insuring stuff that I guess if I got to buy a NEW Droid for $500-$600 then so be it.

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score
Except to me that is flawed logic.

$89 Deductiable
Is it not like $5.99 a month also
Total for a year would mean $160.88

ETF $350 - $120 (it goes down $10 a month) = $230

hmmm so for another $69.12 I can just be out of my contract, and get whatever NEW phone I want...LOL Yeah...I'll go that route and skip insurance. If I break the phone due to something I do...then I'll look for that used Droid...or reactivate my old phone.

Remember people insurance is banking on that you NEVER make a claim, after all they are in the business to make money. Not to pay out claims. I have a digital camera I paid $500 for...never insured it...wifes camera was $300 never insured it. I guess I could run around an insure everything...but why!!! Int he big picture I have saved so much money NOT insuring stuff that I guess if I got to buy a NEW Droid for $500-$600 then so be it.

I agree and think that extending the manufacturer's warranty for $48 over 24 months is worth it instead.