A new Droid Tether?

Reaction score
I was in class yesterday trying to connect to our computer labs shotty internet and in my list of wireless connections I noticed a new one that popped up, "AndroidTether".

I use PDANet and have to mess with the Bluetooth DUN to get it to connect to my phone, but this one showed up in my list of connections.

I was wondering what program was being used on the Droid to allow for easier tethering like that? If anyone knows that would be great, Thanks.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You must be rooted to use wifi tethering.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thats the default name, you can change it to whatever you want to. Mine is "R2D2" obviously cause hes the coolest droid out there...

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
haha R2D2... Nice.

Thanks guys for the info, I might just look into rooting this weekend, I have been rooted before, but just didn't see much use in it at the time, but now I have decided to OC just a little bit, so I guess this is good timing.

Thanks Again.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
rooting gives you everyhitng IMO, overclock to 1000, tethering, hacks, mmm yes

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Rooting is most def. the way to go. 5 homescreens, OC, all the advantages of the official 2.1 plus tethering, infinitum...

johnnyvol

Reaction score
I was in class yesterday trying to connect to our computer labs shotty internet and in my list of wireless connections I noticed a new one that popped up, "AndroidTether".

I use PDANet and have to mess with the Bluetooth DUN to get it to connect to my phone, but this one showed up in my list of connections.

I was wondering what program was being used on the Droid to allow for easier tethering like that? If anyone knows that would be great, Thanks.

You may have been picking up a wifi signal from someone else nearby who was tethering their laptop through their Droid. I know when I run wireless tether that's what shows up on my computer or my IPod Touch.

Try to connect next time and see who looks around with a "WTF!?" look on their face.

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
Actually I did connect, but they were in the lab next door, so I don't know if anyone looked around, though I was only connected for a minute, I did try to connect again 10 minutes later and I couldn't.