A KickStand May Be The Note 6's Big Feature!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Note 5 is a big device and it can get pretty tiring to hold it up for long periods of time. I have actually had digits fall asleep holding the Note 5 watching a football game on the watch ESPN app. Samsung may have a pretty cool trick up their sleeve for the Note 6.

Samsung filed a patent for an S-Pen that folds into a kickstand way back in the third quarter of 2015. The patent shows an S-Pen that would stick halfway in the device and halfway out. It bends in the middle making the kickstand. As long as the mechanism that allows the S-Pen to fold in half is nice and firm when in straight S-Pen form this might be cool. If the hinge is not sturdy and it folds in on itself randomly this could be pretty awful. Of course this is just a patent and who knows this could be vapor ware.

via Patently

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I don't understand how more companies haven't added stands to the back of their phones. It's two pieces of cheap plastic on hinges, shouldn't be hard to manufacture.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how more companies haven't added stands to the back of their phones. It's two pieces of cheap plastic on hinges, shouldn't be hard to manufacture.
I had a case for my Rezound that had a folding kick stand. It was very handy. The rooCASE Executive for my Note8 has a built in kick stand. I use it frequently when watching Netflix on it.
I like that it would be something easily used by those that want it and just as easily ignored by those that don't idea of making the s pen a kick stand. One more usage of my s pen.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I had a case for my Rezound that had a folding kick stand. It was very handy. The rooCASE Executive for my Note8 has a built in kick stand. I use it frequently when watching Netflix on it.
I like that it would be something easily used by those that want it and just as easily ignored by those that don't idea of making the s pen a kick stand. One more usage of my s pen.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Same here...had a kickstand case for my Fascinate. I used all the time when I wanted to set it on my desk horizontally.
I think it'll be a great feature built into the next Note.

S5 tap'n

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Don't most people use cases? Am I the minority here? Kickstands belong on cases. :p

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Think everyone here said it. If we want a kickstand there are plenty of cases out there. For those that rock a case it is going to cover up the kickstand anyway.

Didn't HTC already beat that horse to death. Nice at the time but was not really practical. For one the kickstand only worked at holding the phone at a certain angle and just got in the way because the power button and volume button would be opposite of each other, making it where either you could adjust the volume or awake it from sleep mode.

Correction: forgot the power buttons were at the top of the phone back then
HTC-Thunderbolt-4G-LTE-.jpg

evo-4g-kickstand.jpg

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think kickstands mostly belong on cases

Besides if Samsung is sticking with glass panels that'd be pretty difficult to implement I imagine.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think kickstands mostly belong on cases

Besides if Samsung is sticking with glass panels that'd be pretty difficult to implement I imagine.

Im waiting for the kickstand to collapse and the phone fall and crack. Then Samsung will put out a memo on how the user need to learn how to use the kickstand correctly (ie read the freaking manual).

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I don't think it will happen.. It's just another patent in the portfolio.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think it will happen.. It's just another patent in the portfolio.

agree or they will try it in a small market like the do their alpha series.