A few questions about the cost?

chimera

Reaction score
I have not gotten the droid incredible, I still have an omnia that I might get rid of. I have a few questions about it, but my most puzzleing question right now is about the price.

I see on the board that many people seem to be paying full retail price for it, which is about 550$ for the DI right?. My question is why? I have never paid retail for a phone, so I do not know why someone would do that? You pay more the phone up front at purchase, and must still pay verizon's monthly service costs right? so what is the advantage? why not sign a new 2 year contract and get it cheaper up front?

I am really confused about this, and dont really know much about buying cell phones. Please help.

lingle_t

Reaction score
well the moto droid came out less then a year ago you want the DI you have to pay the price i guess

ldimick

Reaction score
Verizon raised their Early termination Fees from 175 to 350 in November. The idea was to slow down people from getting new phones when Verizon had not made enough money to pay off the subsidies on the old ones. In the past you would simply get a new phone (and number) swap the two phone lines, and then pay the ETF on the new line. That way you could get a new phone for much less than retail.

However, with a $350 ETF, plus the $200 for the Incredible you are back to paying near full retail. Since I bought mine 4 days before the fee increase I still have the 'old way' as an option.

I also have an iPhone 3GS with 32 GB that I am floating to my friends in a trade. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

virginia4eva

Reaction score
So since my ETF is only 175, is it better to do it that way or sell my Droid and pay retail for the DI??

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have not gotten the droid incredible, I still have an omnia that I might get rid of. I have a few questions about it, but my most puzzleing question right now is about the price.

I see on the board that many people seem to be paying full retail price for it, which is about 550$ for the DI right?. My question is why? I have never paid retail for a phone, so I do not know why someone would do that? You pay more the phone up front at purchase, and must still pay verizon's monthly service costs right? so what is the advantage? why not sign a new 2 year contract and get it cheaper up front?

I am really confused about this, and dont really know much about buying cell phones. Please help.

When are u eligible for the New Every 2 upgrade? And some ppl pay retail price all the time for phones. Some just gotta have the newest toy, some just pay for what they want. Hey its their money, they can burn it if they want to. lol I almost paid retail for my Droid, cuz its what I wanted. Verizon just happen to gave me an upgrade gift at the right time.

Do you have the Omnia 1 or 2? If its the 1, please burn it and dump the body where no one can find it...I wont tell.

OP
C

chimera

Reaction score
I am eleigible now for a new every 2 upgrade so I will probably use that if I get an incredible, which I want to do more and more.

I have an Omnia 1 now, I have a love/hate relationship with it. It certainly isnt the phone I thought I would get when I bought it, but it has been acceptable.