A couple Videos

Ridley

Reaction score
These are two videos of seals that I took this weekend on Long Island.

I volunteer for a foundation that rescues and rehabillitates sick and injured marine mammals and sea turtles. The droid has become a great tool for me as i am able to get great video, good quality photos and GPS information all on one device. This information along with a real time assessment over the phone can all be sent back to our bilogists who use it to help determine if the animal will be brought in for care or not.

A word of caution: It is illegal in the United States to approach a wild marine mammal any closer than 50 yards. All species of marine mammals are protected on land and in US waters. Approaching them closer than 50 yards can result in a harassment charge which carries some pretty stiff penalties. Also, these are dangerous wild animals that can inflict serious bites to humans and their pets. As I mentioned, these videos were taken under the supervision of the foundation I volunteer for as a means to determine the ID and health status of the animals.

[video=youtube;NCPUdfN_Sqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCPUdfN_Sqc[/video]

[video=youtube;m1RIyahItys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1RIyahItys[/video]

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
nice video and good info about approaching marine animals.

and yay seal found home!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Nice....but using common sense I have no desire to approach any wild animal that weighs more than I do.....

iPirate

Reaction score
Videos look nice.

The harpseal looks like it was trying to sleep or dying.

Clownassasin

Reaction score
wow, the seals are so cute. Good video, I hope these'll help out and spread awareness

OP
R

Ridley

Reaction score
Nice....but using common sense I have no desire to approach any wild animal that weighs more than I do.....

you would be surprised what we find people doing when we go out on calls. Sometimetimes that dress the seals in hats and coats to keep them warm.:icon_eek:

iPirate

Reaction score

you would be surprised what we find people doing when we go out on calls. Sometimetimes that dress the seals in hats and coats to keep them warm.:icon_eek:
Wow. Pictures of this when it happens. :icon_eek:

bb-gun

Reaction score
I wnat your job so bad. that would be so awesome. where is that at?

rod

Reaction score
nice vids! i plan on using my droid a lot in the fall to video some whitetail. unfortunately, my goal isnt to help the deer, not the big ones at least... but good work! god bless.

and did anyone else watching these videos suddenly become extremely thankful to have arms?

bots

Reaction score
nice vids! i plan on using my droid a lot in the fall to video some whitetail. unfortunately, my goal isnt to help the deer, not the big ones at least... but good work! god bless.

and did anyone else watching these videos suddenly become extremely thankful to have arms?

I was thinking that the whole time I was watching it. It almost looks like he's constipated, and he's trying tremendously hard to push out a set of arms or flippers.