64GB MicroSD cards

Lucidpsychosis

Reaction score
I know this is purely hypothetical at the moment, but when these amazing feats of engineering hit the market, will the Droid X (or Incredible or D2, for that matter) be able to hold them? I know they say "up to 32GB," but is that just because 32GB is the largest size available to consumers?

How does this work? If the phones can't support 64GB cards currently, will they be able to with a software update, or is this a hardware issue?

tktouch12

Reaction score
i've heard both ways, but i'm pretty sure its software and an update will fix it.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Only if they make a change to the architecture. When MicroSDs only went to 2GB, they came out with the MicroSDHC standard. While physically they were the same, the internal architecture was slightly different. They could fit virtually every phone that had a MicroSD slot, but most phones hade difficulty recognizing them or reporting the correct size. A driver update fixed that problem.
So unless they change the internal architecture, a 64GB MicroSD card should work fine. They said that the G1 could only hold up to 2-4GB I believe. I have seen them use 16GB cards. Same for the Droid 1 supporting up to 16GB, and I have seen (only 1 so far) a 32GB card work flawlessly with it.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
jeez what could one possibly need 64gigs of space for? plan on transferring yours and your moms music library and 15 movies? lol just playin

i got the 32GB in my DX, 1000ish songs, 5 movies, and still got a lotta room to work with.

OP
L

Lucidpsychosis

Reaction score
Well, my music collection alone is 42GB (about 7000 songs) and growing. I also have a few movies, but I don't really need to put them on my phone.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, my music collection alone is 42GB (about 7000 songs) and growing. I also have a few movies, but I don't really need to put them on my phone.

haha i have 16000 songs but i dont need to sync them all, 200+ movies too, thats what i got my 1TB external HD for

lawrence87

Reaction score
It would be a software update. If you dont follow Windows 7 updates or if you even run windows 7 a few weeks ago the released a update that allows sd chips, memory stick duo, usb, etc greater than 32gb to be read. xp was limited to only reading like 500gb harddrives then a update was released and fixed that. Now the only thing would be is Moto saying its not possible even though it is. They will say its not possible so you will have to upgrade to one that has that ability.

iDr0id

Reaction score
oh the amazing feats of technology. I remember when a 1 gig was like 50 dollars. Now you can get a 32 gig for that price, and it is a micro sd. It always baffles me

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
oh the amazing feats of technology. I remember when a 1 gig was like 50 dollars. Now you can get a 32 gig for that price, and it is a micro sd. It always baffles me

First HD my wife bought me as a gift was a WD 750mb for $680.00......
Yea...we have come a long way.

iDr0id

Reaction score

First HD my wife bought me as a gift was a WD 750mb for $680.00......
Yea...we have come a long way.

My computer in the basement was top of the line packard bell, probably cost 500+ dollars, has 32 mb of ram :D

screaminscott

Reaction score

haha i have 16000 songs but i dont need to sync them all, 200+ movies too, thats what i got my 1TB external HD for

Weird, I like to have all my music available at all times. I'd hate to have to go back to the days when I had to shuttle around songs (CD's) between the car and office and home.

blahzay

Reaction score
I have about 1 1/2TB of music alone...lol...not sure how much in movies/videos. I swear since I found albumhunt.com and mediahunt.org I go through hard drives like crazy. I guess im a hoarder when it comes to media...lol

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
...and the best way to change from one sd to another is just load onto computer and then reload onto new (and formatted) sd card? for some reason, I thought the phone was pushing apps onto the sd card, too?