6/25/2010 - BKAPPS/RSTAPPS Updated - Please Read

Tornado Rex

Reaction score
So a minor problem I ran into. I installed bkapps (from this topic) to BB 1.1 (an Eclaire-based ROM) and ran bkapps -c. Everything backed up perfectly. Then I installed SS 4.3 doing a full wipe and all that good stuff. I ran rstapps -c and everything restored fine. However, I get a notification saying it can't sign in to gtalk from my main account. I have gtalk hidden (though it did show up when gtalk wasn't hidden also). Not a big deal really just wanted to bring this up. Is it going from a 2.1 based ROM to a 2.2 based ROM that's the problem?

MrC1122

Reaction score
...so you can back up apps from say BB, but can only restore into SS. I see this as a driver to use my ROM's, much as Pete has his toolbox to interface with the scripts - it's a bonus to using his ROM, much like rstapps is for mine.

This may be a little off the wall, (a bit far-fetched even) and is not intended to insult or offend you or pete. I love the work that both of you do. IMO you guys are the best around and i would love to see you two collaborate on a ROM. With your "rstapps" and his "scripts", (and possibly a few other things thrown in from both of you) Man!...that would be the best thing since sliced bread! =} You guys could call it something like "Stunning Beast" or maybe "Simply Bugless"...I'm just saying =}

Sorry for hyjacking the thread, I just had to get that out...carry on.

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
...so you can back up apps from say BB, but can only restore into SS. I see this as a driver to use my ROM's, much as Pete has his toolbox to interface with the scripts - it's a bonus to using his ROM, much like rstapps is for mine.

This may be a little off the wall, (a bit far-fetched even) and is not intended to insult or offend you or pete. I love the work that both of you do. IMO you guys are the best around and i would love to see you two collaborate on a ROM. With your "rstapps" and his "scripts", (and possibly a few other things thrown in from both of you) Man!...that would be the best thing since sliced bread! =} You guys could call it something like "Stunning Beast" or maybe "Simply Bugless"...I'm just saying =}

Sorry for hyjacking the thread, I just had to get that out...carry on.

Ha ha ha! No way, I'm out to dominate on my own! j/k of course!

Really though - I think it's great that all of you guys/gals have choices, so that you get more variation than if we did in fact collaborate. I think of it this way. We started with Metallica, Dave Mustaine got kicked out, and now we get to enjoy BOTH Metallica and Megadeth (although let's be honest, Megadeth has been romping over Slowtallica for years now ;) )

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So a minor problem I ran into. I installed bkapps (from this topic) to BB 1.1 (an Eclaire-based ROM) and ran bkapps -c. Everything backed up perfectly. Then I installed SS 4.3 doing a full wipe and all that good stuff. I ran rstapps -c and everything restored fine. However, I get a notification saying it can't sign in to gtalk from my main account. I have gtalk hidden (though it did show up when gtalk wasn't hidden also). Not a big deal really just wanted to bring this up. Is it going from a 2.1 based ROM to a 2.2 based ROM that's the problem?

I actually saw this a couple of times myself - and I also had Gtalk hidden. However, it's apparent that still some settings were restored from the backup, even though we were not running it ...

Tornado Rex

Reaction score

I actually saw this a couple of times myself - and I also had Gtalk hidden. However, it's apparent that still some settings were restored from the backup, even though we were not running it ...
Yeah I realized it must have been because BB 1.1 you can't hide gtalk. I also had to re sign into Facebook. Overall though it restored all of my apps and settings so typing in a couple account's info wasn't a big deal :) Thanks a ton for all your hard work on both this feature and your great ROMs

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So I downloaded this new file.... do I have to rename it to update.zip to install it

If you are using SPRecovery, yes - if using CWR, then no

Also - did you download from the 4.4 thread? The lastest version of bkapps is always in my latest downloadable ROM thread ...

ie: Index of /froyo/4.4

jbrock98

Reaction score
I got some force closes from applications when I did rstapps -a everything seems to be installed, when I made my back I did the bkapps -a command will any those force closes screw up anything (I was dumb and didn't pay attention to wat all the force closes was but I know some were framework related) I was coming from UD3.0.0, did it copied some applications that's non compatiable? And again is could anyrhing be screwed up?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I got some force closes from applications when I did rstapps -a everything seems to be installed, when I made my back I did the bkapps -a command will any those force closes screw up anything (I was dumb and didn't pay attention to wat all the force closes was but I know some were framework related) I was coming from UD3.0.0, did it copied some applications that's non compatiable? And again is could anyrhing be screwed up?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

You SHOULD be ok with the FC's - they are happening because data is being restored while apps are running ...

Also - if you want a COMPLETE backup - you should be using -c, and not -a. What you ran backs up apps and data only; no accounts, no icons, etc. Which may be what you want!

Raziel36

Reaction score
So, I'm smart enough to back everything up the old way before flashing a new rom, but I think it should be pointed out explicitly that rstapps only works on your rom. I wasted time trying to get it to restore my apps on BB. Pete's script helper is nice and all, but this is in a different league of usefulness. It can also screw people over that don't realize that if they prefer someone else's rom, that they are in for a headache, if they rely on your script. Almost seems like a way of forcing people to stay with your rom, or start over(if no other recent app backup was performed).

Edit: I really like your rom, but BB just works better for me... I've switched between the two often, and would likely end up back on yours again soon enough. To alienate supporters of your work, just because they rom hop a bit, doesn't seem like a good practice. I do appreciate your work, and hope you see my point is not to bash, but to simply(lol) give my view on this particular subject.

Last edited:

Tornado Rex

Reaction score
So, I'm smart enough to back everything up the old way before flashing a new rom, but I think it should be pointed out explicitly that rstapps only works on your rom. I wasted time trying to get it to restore my apps on BB. Pete's script helper is nice and all, but this is in a different league of usefulness. It can also screw people over that don't realize that if they prefer someone else's rom, that they are in for a headache, if they rely on your script. Almost seems like a way of forcing people to stay with your rom, or start over(if no other recent app backup was performed).

Edit: I really like your rom, but BB just works better for me... I've switched between the two often, and would likely end up back on yours again soon enough. To alienate supporters of your work, just because they rom hop a bit, doesn't seem like a good practice. I do appreciate your work, and hope you see my point is not to bash, but to simply(lol) give my view on this particular subject.
I always thought that was common knowledge. It's not like Chevy is trying to hide that from anyone. Look through any of the threads and he tells you that you can flash bkapps to any rom but rstapps will stay with his roms. Every rom maker has their own little incentives to go with their particular rom, just like chevy has rstapps. I think it's perfectly fine how it is now.