6/25/2010 - BKAPPS/RSTAPPS Updated - Please Read

soccer568

Reaction score
if i am coming from bugless beast 1.1 and want to use this backup/restore app am i allowed to? I want to backup my stuff while running bugless beast then once im done i want to wipe, flash and restore all my apps on simple stunning 4.2.

Last edited:
OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
if i am coming from bugless beast 1.1 and want to use this backup/restore app am i allowed to? I want to backup my stuff while running bugless beast then once im done i want to wipe, flash and restore all my apps on simple stunning 4.2.

Yes, you should be able to ... will be interested to hear your results!

soccer568

Reaction score
I would love to test it out but i dont want anything bad to happen to my phone i hope someone who is experienced can try what i asked and post back here the results.

rickt1152

Reaction score
I'm a little confused here. Came from BB .021 and initially installed SS4.1 and then 4.2. Since I was coming from another Froyo Rom, I never wiped for either of the SS Roms, and everything seems to work fine, and for the most part carry over during the installs. I wanted to try the bkapps and love the referenced capability. My question, is with my current set up can I just install it as is and expect it to function properly? Great work on SS and the kernels.

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm a little confused here. Came from BB .021 and initially installed SS4.1 and then 4.2. Since I was coming from another Froyo Rom, I never wiped for either of the SS Roms, and everything seems to work fine, and for the most part carry over during the installs. I wanted to try the bkapps and love the referenced capability. My question, is with my current set up can I just install it as is and expect it to function properly? Great work on SS and the kernels.

If you have 4.2 installed, you also have the latest bkapps - so yes you are good to go. Of course bkapps is useful if you end up wiping, if not wiping then you don't need it.

rickt1152

Reaction score

If you have 4.2 installed, you also have the latest bkapps - so yes you are good to go. Of course bkapps is useful if you end up wiping, if not wiping then you don't need it.

Thanks for the reply. One follow up question. Since I didn't wipe prior to install, would I benefit now from a wipe and install with a restore from rsapps?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. One follow up question. Since I didn't wipe prior to install, would I benefit now from a wipe and install with a restore from rsapps?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Only if you are having issues - a non-wipe (if it works) is just fine.

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but it wouldn't be the first time anyone posted one of those.

If there was an app (Google Voice for instance) that was
a) pre-installed on a rom and I removed it via mvgv -d
b) later reinstalled via the market so it sits with all those apps
c) backed up with bkapps -c

If I flash SS4.2 do I need to remove that app from system\app before I restore with rstapps -c?

Will it try to restore a second copy of the app in data\app since that is where it is now? Should I even be a concerned?

It should see it in /system/app and not reinstall ... let me know if you see otherwise!

beejaycee

Reaction score
I flashed from SS v4.1 to v4.2 with no problems. When I try to run bkapps from terminal for the very first time:
su
bkapps -c​

I get:
ls: /sdcard/SimplyStunning/apps*: No such file or directory

Sat Jun 26 18:37:31 CDT 2010

* ChevyNo1 App Manager *

cannot create /myapps.lst: read-only file system
cannot create /myapps.lst: read-only file system​

What am I doing wrong? I tried flashing the "new" bkapps.zip in case the one I had was from v4.1 but no joy. Is the fix as simple as creating the missing directory?

y0rk

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but it wouldn't be the first time anyone posted one of those.

If there was an app (Google Voice for instance) that was
a) pre-installed on a rom and I removed it via mvgv -d
b) later reinstalled via the market so it sits with all those apps
c) backed up with bkapps -c

If I flash SS4.2 do I need to remove that app from system\app before I restore with rstapps -c?

Will it try to restore a second copy of the app in data\app since that is where it is now? Should I even be a concerned?

It should see it in /system/app and not reinstall ... let me know if you see otherwise!

From what I can see it backed up Google Voice, Maps, Facebook, Titanium Backup from my old /data/app

Restored Google Voice to new /data/app with all settings intact - don't know if there was one in /system/app but there isn't now

Maps and Facebook are both located in /system/app now but it did restore facebook settings. I know it didn't replace the Facebook app itself because I had themed it prior and its not themed now.

It restored Titanium backup to /data/app so now I have two. One also in /system/app - Don't know if this matters.

Went from SS4.1, installed new bkapps.zip, ran bkapps -c, wiped and installed SS4.2, ran rstapps -c, overall the process went really smooth. wifi working, maps working, market working. gonna put the ulow kernel back and see if that is as smooth as before.

mcsinfl

Reaction score
I flashed from SS v4.1 to v4.2 with no problems. When I try to run bkapps from terminal for the very first time:
su
bkapps -c​

I get:

* ChevyNo1 App Manager *

What am I doing wrong? I tried flashing the "new" bkapps.zip in case the one I had was from v4.1 but no joy. Is the fix as simple as creating the missing directory?

Try typing

Su
Sysrw
Bkapps -c

beejaycee

Reaction score
Try typing

Su
Sysrw
Bkapps -c
Thanks for the help but I did try that because I guessed that it was a r/w problem:
su
sysrw
bkapps -c

I got the same message.

More info:
Manually creating the /sdcard/SimplyStunning/apps folder does not work (although bkapps says it runs) because no additional folders are created. Using Astro, it says the permissions on the /sdcard/SimplyStunning folder are "drw".

Last edited:

rickt1152

Reaction score
su
bkapps -c​

I get:

* ChevyNo1 App Manager *

Identical situation for me. I flashed from 4.1 to 4.2. I get the same error message and there is no SimplyStunning directory on my SD card.

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
su
bkapps -c​

I get:

* ChevyNo1 App Manager *

Identical situation for me. I flashed from 4.1 to 4.2. I get the same error message and there is no SimplyStunning directory on my SD card.

I'll take a look!