4.5.607 OTA File

mr.inter

Reaction score
Does anyone know a method by which the official OTA update can be performed via the SD card instead of downloading it from the phone? I'm asking this since I am tired of downloading it each time I need to fix something.

OP
mr.inter

mr.inter

Reaction score
Thanks but that's the leak not the official update. I know that there are no or minor changes between the two versions but I want to be safe and install the official update.

mrgeekguy

Reaction score
The update is downloaded to the /cache directory on your phone. You will need to be rooted and have the root explorer app to see it though. You can copy the zip file to the root directory of your sd card and rename it update.zip, then you must unroot your phone. Then turn off your phone, press the power button and the X key on the keyboard at the same time, till you see the triangle pop up, then press the search button on the keyboard. There should be an option to install the update.zip.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Thanks but that's the leak not the official update. I know that there are no or minor changes between the two versions but I want to be safe and install the official update.
You seem to be misunderstanding something.

The “leak” is 4.5.606.

4.5.607 is the OTA that was rolled out during soak test and is rolling out now for everyone.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
The update is downloaded to the /cache directory on your phone. You will need to be rooted and have the root explorer app to see it though.
This isn't correct.

You need to be able to use adb.

In adb shell, you can head over to the directory the update was downloaded to, check its name by listing the directory contents, and copy it to the SD card as update.zip.

drebin198

Reaction score
I used the .607 file and it worked fine and dandy.

Even rooted.

juv3

Reaction score
It seems to be a common bug in 2.3.3 for GB, so hopefully someone finds a way to unroot or flash .607 back to froyo or stock GB in case they upgrade GB to 2.3.5, and i'm also on .607 Rooted and Runs better than any other moafckin rom ever, battery life is great and i can even tether!

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
First, there is an unroot tool for Gingerbread builds. It's basically one-click root script that does everything backwards.
Second, you cannot flash 4.5.607 back to Froyo without having to flash an SBF.

biknut1

Reaction score
"OFFICIAL" version

By official, do you mean the one that was taken down a couple of days ago because it had issues?

SteveIrv

Reaction score
Yes, it was taken down. But only to fix some rather specific issues. When it starts rolling out again I'm sure the thousands of folks who got/installed the update will get an update patch.....hate to think they'd release a "608" and make everyone go through the 100+meg download AGAIN.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
hate to think they'd release a "608" and make everyone go through the 100+meg download AGAIN.

but that would make sense and this is moto/vzw.... besides, its in vzw's best interest to make the people that have limited amount of data download big files again.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
13th angel, if you applied a bit of logic instead of putting some blame on VZW, you would probably come to the same conclusion as I did:

I'm afraid the most possible scenario is this: they will return 4.5.607 to the update servers, and release a small patch that addresses the problem.

Why do I think so?

The answer's easy, and quite logical: they already have a ton of 4.5.607 users. If they release a new 100MB build, that would mean you need 2.4.330 to install it. Which is impossible for the majority of users without consulting tech support to flash 2.4.29/2.4.330 using an SBF.

Now, if they roll out an update for 4.5.607, everyone will be able to get the update: those on 2.4.330 will need to download 4.5.607 and the new patch, those on 4.5.607 will just need the small patch.

There's also a possibility they will make an OTA that moves you straight from 2.4.330 to the new release, but still offer that patch for those on 4.5.607 since they can discriminate users connecting to the update servers based on their firmware fingerprint.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
1) it was a joke..... and tbh, alot of things vzw does doesnt make sense if you look at it
2) imo, would probably do a full update and have it detect which your already on (.607 or .330) and then by that determine how much gets installed. Its really not hard to do, they already have the version check in place so just add an "or" to that so it checks for .607 OR .330. If on .607 then it would just do the patch, if on .330 it would do the entire update.