3G vs. WiFi

AzDroidFan

Reaction score
Here's a newbie question for you: If you are in an area where you have both 3G and WiFi access, would you use the WiFi over the 3G? Is one faster on downloading browser pages than the other?

Thanks!

nerdkill

Reaction score
it all depends on your 3g and wifi connection. get the speedtest.net app to find which is faster at that specific location. for instance, my home wifi is much faster then the 3g, however my wifi at work is painfully slow so i use wifi at home and 3g at work.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
WiFi is much faster, but I've found some things you can't access. Yahoo mail is one, BettrFlickr is another.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Depending on who's wi-fi it is.

Most public places block some silly sites.

On average wi-fi is much faster.

Blitz

Reaction score
When I'm home I use Wifi, but when I'm out, I use 3g. I haven't tried many wifi's, but I assume that most public Wifi signals won't be much faster than 3g.

OP
AzDroidFan

AzDroidFan

Reaction score
Thanks for the great feedback. (And quick,too).

Here's a follow up question: I'd like to down load that speed test app. as mentioned above, but is there a quick way to find a specific app. in the market? I wanted to also down load the Voice Recorder, but after scrolling and scrolling, I can't find it.

Blitz

Reaction score

Here's a follow up question: I'd like to down load that speed test app. as mentioned above, but is there a quick way to find a specific app. in the market? I wanted to also down load the Voice Recorder, but after scrolling and scrolling, I can't find it.

Go to the market and click on the search icon at the top of the marketplace and type in speedtest

OP
AzDroidFan

AzDroidFan

Reaction score
Thanks! And thanks to all from all of us at the "beginning of the learning curve!"

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Here's a newbie question for you: If you are in an area where you have both 3G and WiFi access, would you use the WiFi over the 3G? Is one faster on downloading browser pages than the other?

Thanks!

WiFi will generally be faster than 3G, yes. Most of the time I just use 3G, though, since I'm just checking email or looking at a quick page or something. If I'm actually sitting down to do some serious browsing or downloading, I'll turn on the WiFi.

Stormwulf

Reaction score
On my droid, WiFi is around 6 Mbs, and 3G is around 2 Mbs. According to Speedtest.

bigthinker

Reaction score
Yes, WIFI is faster in most cases, especially in my home. But does not allow some applications to run....Like Yahoo email. :motdroidvert:

Se7enLC

Reaction score
But doesn't 3G use your minutes and wifi doesn't?

No.

3G uses data, but on the Droid/VZ, the unlimited data plan is mandatory - Minutes are only used for voice calls during peak hours.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go to the market and click on the search icon at the top of the marketplace and type in speedtest

And if you have the barcode app installed, then go to Speedtest v1.1.1 Application for Android | Tools and point the Droid's camera at the good old QR code. It'll ask if you want to open the browser. Pressing that will take you to the Market.

Last edited: