3G slower by the day...

granitemon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the droid and smartphones in general. While i have maany questions, this is one i would like a few expert answers on.

When i first got the moto droid, i was amazed at the internet speed. Hell, it was close to dsl speeds.

Forward ahead 3 months, and the speed is becoming a bigger concern everyday.

I live in the middle of nowhere Ohio, so i dont expect blazing speeds at home. But recently, 3G had slowed even in "good areas." (Eg. In sight of a tower.)

I've exchanged phones done resets, cleared memory, installed hybrid prl, but still slower by the day.

I understand that vzw is adding about 150,000 new users to the network each day. Can they possibly keep up with this demand?

I'm wondering how long it will be before were all holding bricks...

Any answer or advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mark
[email protected]

LrdElderon

Reaction score
you raise a good point and quite a few people were telling me similar in the cm koush irc channel today. when I first got the droid I was hitting roughly 2mbits/s up and down.

today i got like 75kbits/s down and 100kbits up.

tried new kernels, walked around, reflashed..etc maxed 350kb/s

not even close to my orginal speeds. Youtube is impossible to play and streaming audio is constantly dropping. I don't know if they are lowering speeds or maybe I just have a local net issue (the tower is visible from the house) usually i run a perfect signal in my area.

but that is a SUBSTANTIAL drop in quality and speed. hopefully it gets sorted

note: i think the 150k/per day thing wasn't verizon specific.. that was google phone activations from all carriers.

nerdkill

Reaction score
i've been having the same issues in l.a. i just figured it was because about half of my shop has droids all of a sudden. i hope it gets fixed because it just comes to a crawl at times.

azules9780

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to point out something. Just because you can see a tower does not mean that it has your carrier on it. I used to build and upgrade cell towers and I have been on little 90 ft monopoles with 1 system and up to 7 systems. I have been on 700ft. guyed towers with 1 system and up to 9 systems. This could have an effect on why you think you should be getting super fast speeds and are not able to.

But I also think these that it has to do with the amount of information that is trying to be transferred and it overtaxing the system. Take heart in the fact that we're on Verizon because it is going to handle so much more data than AT&T and take a whole heck of a lot more Droids to bring it to a grinding halt like what happened with the iPhone.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to point out something. Just because you can see a tower does not mean that it has your carrier on it. I used to build and upgrade cell towers and I have been on little 90 ft monopoles with 1 system and up to 7 systems. I have been on 700ft. guyed towers with 1 system and up to 9 systems. This could have an effect on why you think you should be getting super fast speeds and are not able to.

But I also think these that it has to do with the amount of information that is trying to be transferred and it overtaxing the system. Take heart in the fact that we're on Verizon because it is going to handle so much more data than AT&T and take a whole heck of a lot more Droids to bring it to a grinding halt like what happened with the iPhone.

That's nice, but this tower is registered under Verizon. Not all towers are listed under who actually owns them, but in this case it actually is.

and the problem at least for me is it IS bringing it to a grinding halt. downloads are slow as F, youtube is unplayable, I can't stream any audio as it drops to buffer every 10 seconds.

Last edited:

scottb211

Reaction score
I've noticed it too. I was on BB, and everything kept getting slower — push "home" and wait, slide to another screen and wait, press the drawer button and wait... so I switched to JRummy's Kangerade V1.0, and I THOUGHT it was better, because I was on wireless all day at work.

But then go to 3G, and ~bam~ — we're back to a crawl. I guess I need to pony up the 3 bucks and get SetCPU and see what's really happening.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I havent even had 3G since yesterday..I've just been blaming it on solar flares and Nostradamus's 82nd quatrain, "And a large crash shall be heard, people will look to the skies, and the signal cease to exist.. untl tomorrow)

MyDroid23

Reaction score
I have noticed the same decrease in 3g the last couple of weeks. Dling the lastest base band seemed to help. Not sure if *228 does anything to 3g?!?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I havent even had 3G since yesterday..I've just been blaming it on solar flares and Nostradamus's 82nd quatrain, "And a large crash shall be heard, people will look to the skies, and the signal cease to exist.. untl tomorrow)

^^lol... and I hate typing lol

I have noticed this as well... not a huge difference in my area, but a difference nonetheless. I live in DFW, and AT&T is definitely faster here, by quite a bit. But here's the difference... Verizon's connection is so darn consistent that the lack of speed is irrelevant b/c AT&T's is not consistent (though it IS improving).

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another thought... I know Verizon has been saying "we can handle the iphone, we can handle this and that..." (though they also just said they don't want the iphone, near term anyway) But all of these phones (and their users obviously) are dramatically increasing the accessibility to data and lots of it. Android's popularity, plus Verizon's market "image", over the last year seems to have really skyrocketed smartphone usage on Verizon. I can't imagine they wouldn't feel it at least somewhat...

kastj

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Down here in New Mexico I've noticed a drastic drop in speed. I can't even play youtube videos now. Verizon needs to straighten this out, and quick.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
I don't mind small drops in speed, but for me at least in my area it was 80% and enough to affect the quality of service. Though on a note I drove to the store for bottle returns 15 minute drive or so, and in the lot there I was hitting 1.1mbits. still lower then my usual average at home, but closer to an acceptable speed.

I still think tower issue for my area and overall verizon screwing around with stuff.

OP
G

granitemon

Reaction score
Ok, since I started this thread, my phone has gotten even slower. I've always paid close attention to the dbm and not the bars for an accurate assessment of signal.
At home its about -100. This is expected because I live in the middle of nowhere. In town, I averaged between -70 and -80. Now, in the exact same places I'm averaging -90.
Finally got a verizon rep to admit this was a "bad" area and may have something to do with the alltel merger. I've located the verizon tower, and yes it IS a verizon tower. So I drove out and parked in its shadow and got -55. A mile down the road though, back to -90.

Honestly don't know what's going on, all I really know is that during my "no worry" 30 day period, if my phone had acted like this it would have been returned, end of story. This is absolutely unacceptable! I had to go out and buy a Tom Tom, because navigation RARELY connects.
Has anyone pursued a refund due to this? I'm sure its somewhere in the fine print in the contract that your reception can suddenly begin to suck, and that verizon is in no way responsible. Just makes me mad as hell though.

If anyone else has any ideas or solutions I would love to hear them. Oh, and if anyone wants a motorola droid, 100 bucks and its yours...