3G Mobile Hotspot Longevity

ChampD1012

Reaction score
I have been able to connect to my iMac via the 3G Hotspot but it doesn't last that long at all.

Maybe five minutes and I receive a 3G data link lost notification. It is happening more frequent. I am wondering if it has to do with the ATK or what. Maybe I should turn that off. I would put the 3G Mobile Hotspot App on my ignore list but it never shows up for me to select.

Zan1

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. It seems to drop the connection if it is idle. I will be driving for a few hours today will will see how it goes. There should be some feature to lock it so hot spot is available whether it is being used or not. If you get a fix please let me know

OP
C

ChampD1012

Reaction score
I haven't seen it happen yet.

I set my network up as wep and it's working better.

I also had issues with the iPad connecting but I think I know why.

WEP is the way to go for now to fix the longevity issue. I am wondering about the asterisk for the machine name for my iPad and iMac when connected on the network.

canton

Reaction score
Glad to hear I'm not alone on this!

My Droid X mobile hotspot dies with "Mobile Hotspot Service: 3G Data Link Lost" after 2-15 minutes. I'll try setting it up as WEP and I'll report back here to say if it works or not.

Previously I tried setting the network to different frequencies and to no encryption, but that didn't help.

Fingers crossed that WEP does the trick.

canton

Reaction score
Okay I just ran some tests for half an hour. In my case, changing the mobile hotspot so that it uses WEP encryption did *not* help.

I still lost my connection after 5-10 minutes every single time.

I'm now trying a complete factory reset to see if that helps any. *sigh*

I wonder if the mobile hotspot is working continuously for anyone out there?