315 hours of standby time?

belome

Reaction score
DROID 2 by Motorola - Android phone - Tech Specs - Motorola, Inc. USA

OK, I just have to ask. How would it EVER be possible to have 13+ days of standyby time with this phone?

I've been very critcal of my D2 because the battery life sucks so much. You all say I should have known better... that it's a smart phone and all smart phones have battery issues. I honestly didn't have a clue it would suck so much, mostly because I looked at the specs when I bought the phone.

So, is there any humanly possible way to make a D2 last 13 days? I'm guessing there is no way, at least not with it in a state where it could take a call. How do they do it? Shut down every single service including the ability to take calls and texts... you know... so it is no longer a phone?

Just seems like false advertising to me.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is what standby means...just sitting there, I doubt when they ran these tests they had a google account synced etc...etc...they probably charged the battery up turned the unactivated device on and let it sit for 315 hours...false advertising, not really, a true statement in the real world, not really either-and this is how advertising works

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
But, shoudln't stand-by time for a phone... require it to be a phone?

want a droid

Reaction score
Standby is just another way to measure battery life. Standby is when the phone is running with nothing else going on. No phone calls, text messages, data, etc. Even the screen display is off.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
I'm fine with all of that... IF the phone is in a state that it technically could answer a call. If its just sitting there doing absolutly nothing, then its just a lame number.

In the real world, you should be able to turn it on, out of the box from Verizon... fully charge it and sit it on a counter and leave it and measure the standby time. No way our phones could do that for even 32 hours. If they required this, that may even help all the bloatware they stuff onto our phones that we can't remove.

Last edited:

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
belome said:
I honestly didn't have a clue it would suck so much, mostly because I looked at the specs when I bought the phone.

So you're shocked, shocked, that a company might market their product using specs that weren't based on real-world use?! ;)

Honestly, if all you did was review manufacturer specs before buying an entirely new type of phone (or any product), I'm not surprised that you're surprised.

There are a ton of discussions, in pretty much every smartphone forum, about battery life issues, and it's never talk about how the phones meet or exceed manufacturer specifications. :) All this information was out there before you made your purchase, unfortunately you didn't avail yourself of it. A lesson learned for your next shopping activity. I don't even purchase "dumb phones" for my kids before reviewing forum discussions and any available tech site reviews for issues related to call quality, signal capture, battery life, reliability, etc. There is a ton of info out there if you go looking for it.

Manuf. specs are all a numbers game...manufacturers in pretty much any industry work the the numbers, ensuring they are legally accurate while attempting to make their products' numbers impressive and superior to their competitors. if more consumers were better shoppers and didn't rely so much on what the manuf. told them they would be better off.

If you're within your 30 days you many want to return your phone and stay w/a feature phone, where you can get great standby/use times (my kids ENV2 phones can go for days w/regular use w/out needing a charge).

If you're outside your 30 days there is a lot of info on how to prolong battery life...spending your time on that information, rather than wondering about manuf. specs, will be a much better use of your time. Good luck...

Pandemic187

Reaction score
No way our phones could do that for even 32 hours.
I would just like to say that with minimal use, I get ~60 hours of use out of my D2. Now, I also leave everything off when I'm not using it, but still, it easily lasts 2 days if I'm not using it a lot.

want a droid

Reaction score
I would just like to say that with minimal use, I get ~60 hours of use out of my D2. Now, I also leave everything off when I'm not using it, but still, it easily lasts 2 days if I'm not using it a lot.

You must do nothing because with just text messaging, and the extended battery, I have to charge after around 10 hours.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
since I installed TBH version of 2.3.15 on my d2 my battery life has improved dramatically.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You must do nothing because with just text messaging, and the extended battery, I have to charge after around 10 hours.

Actually i am a medium to heavy user, often texting or on the internet or playing games etc., stock battery and i usually go around 12 hours on a charge

want a droid

Reaction score
As I've posted before batteries are really luck of the draw. My standard battery would last 4-5 hours of light browsing, text messaging, and no phone calls.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
since I installed TBH version of 2.3.15 on my d2 my battery life has improved dramatically.

TBH? I know it must be obvious, but I'm blanking. <EDIT> Nvm, figured it out. DOH.

And I also seemed to see some improvement in battery life w/2.3.15 as well...

Last edited:

Pandemic187

Reaction score

Sure I do. I just don't use it constantly and I don't leave my data connection, background data, network location, etc. on when not in use. Just don't see the need when I can save battery instead. I do text occasionally though. Oh, and I'm using my stock battery.

Last edited:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As I've posted before batteries are really luck of the draw. My standard battery would last 4-5 hours of light browsing, text messaging, and no phone calls.

Ya that's definately true. I've also seen a marked improvement in bat life since i got the phone about a month ago. Seems to have settled into itself if that makes sense.