3.5mm jack to RCA cables?

SCDroid

Reaction score
Ok, so i bought a 3.5 mm jack to RCA audio/video cables. My plan is to hook them into the back of my Kenwood 7inch screen in my car so i can listen to pandora. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but when I hook it into my AV inputs in my TV, i get no video and also no audio. Anybody have any answers for me?

brianr0131

Reaction score
Ok, so i bought a 3.5 mm jack to RCA audio/video cables. My plan is to hook them into the back of my Kenwood 7inch screen in my car so i can listen to pandora. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but when I hook it into my AV inputs in my TV, i get no video and also no audio. Anybody have any answers for me?

There is definitely no Video carried on the 3.5 mm jack No way no how.

You should be able to hook up a 3.5mm y cable with a red and white rca only and get the audio results you are looking for in your vehicle though.

OP
S

SCDroid

Reaction score
i didn't think so. I went out to buy just the audio but i figured why would they make an audio and video if it didn't work

pinesal

Reaction score
The TV is your problem. It probably doesn't accept audio if there is no video. Or the volume isn't on or something.

Whatever the problem is, it's not the phone.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
As posted above you cant feed video through a 3.5mm jack, that is for audio only. If Martin is correct on the no official video out so far, i can tell you Audio should work through that method, however, no problem.

Nolano

Reaction score
The 3.5mm to Composite A/V is usually used by camcorders and the like. No support for them on the droid. The audio probably isn't working because the signal for the video means they need to re-route the audio signal in a different way, so the plugs are most likely soldered to different contact points. Buy a 3.5mm to L/R RCA Audio adapter like one of these:
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As posted above you cant feed video through a 3.5mm jack, that is for audio only. If Martin is correct on the no official video out so far, i can tell you Audio should work through that method, however, no problem.
Nothing from the 3.5mm jack... that I know of.
Who knows if something comes up via bluetooth or thru the micro usb, like a projector? :icon_ devil:

dodgemaniac

Reaction score
i know i could hook up my old 80g ipod to an adapter in the headphone jack and watched the movies from it on a regular tv. i know the male part of the jack that went into the ipod had three bands as headphones have 2. my $0.02

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i know i could hook up my old 80g ipod to an adapter in the headphone jack and watched the movies from it on a regular tv. i know the male part of the jack that went into the ipod had three bands as headphones have 2. my $0.02
Three bands would be needed :) 2 for audio and 1 for video :) Maybe there's something to this?

dodgemaniac

Reaction score
maybe find one of these for an ipod hookup that uses the audio jack and give it a try. as i remember it was only like 10 bucks and that was 4 years ago. Id be interested to see if this works for future reference:icon_ lala:

MInkyboi

Reaction score
there is absolutely no video output on the droid, period.

UNLESS your head unit can read USB and you can just mount your phone to it and play your files through there

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
there is absolutely no video output on the droid, period.

UNLESS your head unit can read USB and you can just mount your phone to it and play your files through there
This is what I thought. Was just curious if the 3-band 3.5mm that was mentioned to play video off an iPod would work.

I'm still under the impression that the Micro USB is the only way to get video off the phone... (to display on another device)

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
There are 3.5mm jacks that do video, and they do have three bands, two audio and a video. They will not work in the droid for two reasons, first, the phone jack is not set up for video. Second, the spacing is different between three and two pin jacks
That's why your cable won't work, the bands aren't lining up.