3.5mm headphone jack

Reaction score
Alright, I can't find any reliable source for the pinout of the 3.5mm jack on the Droid 3. So I've decided to post what I actually manage to find here that way maybe someone else can be helped in the future.

I recently got a hold of SkullCandy Heavy Medals, which sound great on the phone... really good, response is awesome. There's two problems though. Mic and in-line volume/answer buttons don't work. From my understanding the TRRS doesn't actually have a standard, which is very frustrating. It seems the reason for most mic/headsets not working is because of the lack of a standard.

Anyway, I will be referring to the 4 sections of the connector as T, R1, R2, S.

For iProducts from the information I have found the pinout goes as follows
T: Left Spkr
R1: Right Spkr
R2: Ground
S: Mic

Motorola devices pinout
T: Mic
R1: Left Spkr
R2: Right Spkr
S: Ground

OR, I have also found...

T: Left Spkr
R1: Right Spkr
R2: Mic
S: Ground

The problem is there's no reliable source for the pinout of the Droid 3 (or any of the Android based Motorola phone...)

The Skullcandy headset follow the iProduct layout, and I am waiting on a converter(ordered yesterday and shipping today) to the second Motorola layout I found above(since it seems more likely as the L/R sound works), and if that doesn't work then I'll splice the converter cable to the other pinout and we'll see what works, if anything.

jeffco98

Reaction score
I downloaded a free app called Klipsch Control.
Now my inline mic and button on my skullcandy earbuds work.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
Saik0Shinigami
Reaction score
I downloaded a free app called Klipsch Control.
Now my inline mic and button on my skullcandy earbuds work.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Doesn't for me... It's not a software issue if the pinout is different and the phone cannot auto-swap pinouts to the headset type, which is what I aim to test... unfortunately I'm still waiting on the stupid cable to show up.