2G or not 2G?

AlanN

Reaction score
Ok it's generally recommended to run the phone in 2G only mode most of the time to save battery, only switching on 3G when it's needed.

Well today I was in a local store and wanted to use the ShopSavvy app so thought 3G would return faster results.

To my surprise, my signal strength meter was on half on 2G, when I switched to 3G it went ( and stayed) to full?

I was under the impression that 2G had the greater coverage and if a 3G signal was strong so would the 2G be?

DAGr8

Reaction score
basically it all depends on frequency and witch provider uses . bottom line is the lower the frequency the easier it gets thru walls ( basement elevators etc ) so the signal could be stronger, sort fo speak , but atthe same time the higher the frequency the better quality of the signal so to answer your question ,call your provider and ask them witch band they use .

newb

Reaction score
It also depends where the operator/network actually places the signal transceiver/booster - if the 3G one is physically closer to you than the 2G one, you may get better signal.

Obviously, this is void if they're both in the same place.