2 new droid owners

tacomasurfer

Reaction score
Hi, Wife and I just got are Droids and all I can say is how have I lived with out this! So I keep reading about the 2.1. Should I do this to my phone? Is it recommended? Will I screw something up and void my warranty or insurance? Total newb questions I know...TIA:icon_ banana:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The OTA 2.1 will not void your phone...
The Rooted ROM 2.1 will....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi, Wife and I just got are Droids and all I can say is how have I lived with out this! So I keep reading about the 2.1. Should I do this to my phone? Is it recommended? Will I screw something up and void my warranty or insurance? Total newb questions I know...TIA:icon_ banana:

lol, :welcome: to the Droid Forums. 2.1 is the current OS that's available from Verizon/Motorola/Google. You are probably running it now, if not you will get a message asking you to install it. Go ahead and do that.

If you're interested in the Custom ROMs, that's another story. You will have to do some reading in the hacking section so that you can understand what you're doing. IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Please be aware of that.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Welcome, tacomasurfer! We're so happy you and your wife have decided to join us! So make yourself at home, and jump right in! You'll find that everyone on this forum is very friendly and here to help and learn! Reading the threads will teach you more than you could ever imagine, and if you get stuck, just post a question - someone will be along to help you out!

Are you talking about the 2.1 update? If you go to Menu > Ssettings > About phone and look at the Firmware version, it will tell you what version you're on. If it says 2.1-update1, you're already on 2.1! Hope you both enjoy your time here with us!

:welcome:

OP
T

tacomasurfer

Reaction score
Which is the one with the 5 home pages? Thnks for the welcome

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Which is the one with the 5 home pages? Thnks for the welcome

You can have five (or even seven) screens by merely downloading Helix Launcher (not Helix Launcher 2) from the Market - it's free and you'll love it.

:yahoo:

joshbroton

Reaction score

lol, :welcome: to the Droid Forums. 2.1 is the current OS that's available from Verizon/Motorola/Google. You are probably running it now, if not you will get a message asking you to install it. Go ahead and do that.

If you're interested in the Custom ROMs, that's another story. You will have to do some reading in the hacking section so that you can understand what you're doing. IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Please be aware of that.

It will only void your warranty if you are not smart enough to flash back to stock before you bring the phone in for repair. ;-)

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome:
newbie.gif

And the fun begins!

OP
T

tacomasurfer

Reaction score
I feel like I just joined AA for droid owners. Love it! How about the voice to text thing?

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I feel like I just joined AA for droid owners. Love it! How about the voice to text thing?

It's standard on every 2.1 Droid. All you do is open the application (for example the messaging app) and then where it says 'Type to compose' tap so the onscreen keyboard appears and touch and hold (briefly) the micorphone icon that shows up as the second key from the left on the bottom and say what you want to type. It also works within the email app and browser search. You need to spend some time reading the threads in the forum. Start with the links in my signature and you'll teach yourself a lot. :D

OP
T

tacomasurfer

Reaction score
As an excited new droid owner I went straight to ebay and got the "cheap" car charger. Then I discovered the thread on unsafe car chargers...How would I know if the ebay charger meets the necessary specs? It says it has a chip that doesn't allow over charging...