2.2 update - can no longer connect to exchange - Help

catskin

Reaction score
Looks like my bosses phone updated to 2.2 over the weekend. It will no longer connect to our exchange server. I've tried just about everything I can think of. My phone is rooted, it did not update and still connects to the exchange server fine.

Does anyone know whats going on here?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like my bosses phone updated to 2.2 over the weekend. It will no longer connect to our exchange server. I've tried just about everything I can think of. My phone is rooted, it did not update and still connects to the exchange server fine.

Does anyone know whats going on here?

Send a pm to aminaked. He knows a lot about the mail and how it works. Tell him hook sent you.

And welcome to the Forum.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey, I happened to see this. I actually haven't set up a client with an exchange server, but I have some thoughts on this:

- do NOT use the stock email client. It is very buggy. No one should use it.
- one client to try is K9 (free from market) Here are instructions for setting it up with exchange: K9MailAndExchange - k9mail - Advice on how to configure K-9 Mail to work with Exchange - Project Hosting on Google Code
- another option is to buy Touchdown from the market which is specifically designed to work with Exchange. I think it costs about $20 but people seem to be very happy with it
- yet another option is to use Maildroid, which sometimes works for people

Good luck!

OP
C

catskin

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick responses and welcome. I've installed touchdown for now, we will see how things work out.

stevesimmons

Reaction score
K9 doesn't function for me.

I tried K9. I can get emails, but I can't send. Apparently, SMTP is the only outbound mail method supported by this app. That doesn't work for me.

I'm testing touchdown and that seems to work.

Is it possible to get rid of the 2.2 mail client entirely and push the older 2.1 mail client onto a rooted 2.2 (OTA FRG01B)? The 2.1 client worked.

-steve

keeseckb

Reaction score
Same issues here too... My co-worker hasn't got the update yet and his still works fine, while mine will not connect to exchange. I read somewhere that with 2.2 is was supposed to be easier to connect to exchange due to some automatic server detecting or something. Maybe we're supposed to input the server settings differently now or something.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, Touchdown is offering a 30 day free trial. Search the market for exchange.

Maildroid is another free one to try.

stevesimmons

Reaction score
I have the touchdown app installed using the 30 day trial. I do object to having to pay an additional $20 after motorola/verizon broke the application.

btw, the touchdown app works great.

keiichi25

Reaction score
I'm curious, as I have the 2.2 and using the default Mail client on my Moto Droid and not having problems. I am also curious what the bugs are.

The one thing I do know is that I have noticed it hasn't always gotten mail right away at times, but today, it is beating my Outlook as far as mail is concerned.

Also, which version of Exchange are you having problems with?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, $20 all of a sudden for something that used to work. That sucks!

I'm curious, as I have the 2.2 and using the default Mail client on my Moto Droid and not having problems. I am also curious what the bugs are.

I listed some of the worst ones here ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-general-discussions/69443-email-alerts.html#post725953 ) but there are more listed on the Android Google Code site.http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-general-discussions/69443-email-alerts.html#post725953

droiddadi

Reaction score
This works well. Works only if you are rooted since this is an update zip format

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...onal-froyo-bypass-exchange-server-policy.html

Kinda scary to use a random app off the web. Could steal your passwords. Plus, it probably still has all the bugs of the stock client. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk--just sayin'

This is not a random app. Check the link. Google screwed up email.apk after FRG01B. You can pull email.apk from FRG01B and push it to your current rom. It will solve the problem.