2.1 Concern - Am I the only one?

tha]-[acksaw

Reaction score
I really don't want to get everyone all fired up, but its been on my mind for the last week as I've been reading all the stuff on here about the coming 2.1 update. Before I get going, let me say... I LOVE MY DROID!

So, my main gripe with the Droid is the visual speed of the OS. I did a side by side shoot out with an iPhone, and I give it to the Droid. It does just about everything faster. From app loading to net browsing to download speeds. Given, the latter two depend on 3G speed I'm sure.

Regardless, the visual aspect of the Droid just lags. If I fire up the phone after a few min of non use, and the first operation I do is move over a home screen, it lags a bit. Same with the "app drawer", and sometimes when loading apps. Is it fast enough for me to deal with? Yes. Does it ever go slow enough that it makes me take more time to complete a task? Nope. But it just looks unprofessional. That all I'm really getting at. Maybe those of you on other Android phones don't have this problem. 7 of my buddies have Moto Droids and they all seem to operate just like mine. I've used two of the demo model at two separate Verizon stores and one of the Managers let me mess with his as well. They all operate just like mine. Its not huge. But other phones on the market don't seem to have this problem.

So, I've been reading about 2.1. I've seen the videos of the OS running on the Nexus1. It looks great. I've been following all the threads about guys running 2.1 on their Droid right now. I'm pumped about the new features. Really pumped!! But I can't help but think... with all this new stuff they've added. That the slow visual operation of the phone is only gonna get worse.

Is anyone else a little worried about this? I know there are those out there, who like me, are not 100% happy with the visual aspect of the phone. Anyone else dreading the upgrade to 2.1? Let my verbal bashing begin. LOL:icon_ banana:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

jacobrv

Reaction score
I think it's a legitimate concern, although I myself and not worried. As long as it doesn't become absolutely horrible I think I can live with it. However, just because something looks better and has more features doesn't mean it will be slower. As long as they are working on optimization it could actually get faster. For example, look at the horrid mess that is Windows Vista compared to Windows 7 which I love. Win7 is WAY WAY faster than Vista, about on par with XP (almost) but yet the features and graphics blow both Vista and XP out of the water. Newer doesn't have to mean bloated and slower, it can be a good thing. Lets just hope this comes true with Android.

HMJB

Reaction score
I wonder if 2.1 is going to fix the browser scrolling Lag?

updating to 2.01 from 2.0 made the browser worse lol..

spillner

Reaction score
tha]-[acksaw;161773 said:
I really don't want to get everyone all fired up, but its been on my mind for the last week as I've been reading all the stuff on here about the coming 2.1 update. Before I get going, let me say... I LOVE MY DROID!

So, my main gripe with the Droid is the visual speed of the OS. I did a side by side shoot out with an iPhone, and I give it to the Droid. It does just about everything faster. From app loading to net browsing to download speeds. Given, the latter two depend on 3G speed I'm sure.

Regardless, the visual aspect of the Droid just lags. If I fire up the phone after a few min of non use, and the first operation I do is move over a home screen, it lags a bit. Same with the "app drawer", and sometimes when loading apps. Is it fast enough for me to deal with? Yes. Does it ever go slow enough that it makes me take more time to complete a task? Nope. But it just looks unprofessional. That all I'm really getting at. Maybe those of you on other Android phones don't have this problem. 7 of my buddies have Moto Droids and they all seem to operate just like mine. I've used two of the demo model at two separate Verizon stores and one of the Managers let me mess with his as well. They all operate just like mine. Its not huge. But other phones on the market don't seem to have this problem.

So, I've been reading about 2.1. I've seen the videos of the OS running on the Nexus1. It looks great. I've been following all the threads about guys running 2.1 on their Droid right now. I'm pumped about the new features. Really pumped!! But I can't help but think... with all this new stuff they've added. That the slow visual operation of the phone is only gonna get worse.

Is anyone else a little worried about this? I know there are those out there, who like me, are not 100% happy with the visual aspect of the phone. Anyone else dreading the upgrade to 2.1? Let my verbal bashing begin. LOL:icon_ banana:
I have to agree with you on this one. After I figured out how to really use this phone ( and trust me I was really frustrated at first) it blows my brother iPhone away in every aspect but one, lag. The phone does lag when switching home screen and using scrolling up/down a webpage. The iPhone is much smoother. I'm hoping that this is addressed soon because it is kinda annoying.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone holds the iPhone as "the" example. Well there are a whole bunch of people, very disillusioned people I might add that feel that the Blackberry Storm is the #1 touch screen phone out there.

So I say to all of you complaining about the lag, go to a Verizon store and play with a BB Storm S2. Just spend 15 minutes with it.

Then tell me how "annoying" the Droids little lag is.

I'm not saying they shouldn't fix it, I'm merely pointing out that you may not realize how good you have it.

Abby Normal

Reaction score
I came from a DARE, I see NO LAG:icon_ banana:

Of course I will not lay my droid down next to an iphone, I like my phone too much..

As Doc Holliday once said, there will always be a faster gun......

Ok, Doc probably didn't say that, but it sounded good, didn't it :icon_ devil:

OP
tha]-[acksaw

tha]-[acksaw

Reaction score
Everyone holds the iPhone as "the" example. Well there are a whole bunch of people, very disillusioned people I might add that feel that the Blackberry Storm is the #1 touch screen phone out there.

So I say to all of you complaining about the lag, go to a Verizon store and play with a BB Storm S2. Just spend 15 minutes with it.

I'm not saying they shouldn't fix it, I'm merely pointing out that you may not realize how good you have it.

To me, its very simple. If the iPhone can do it, why can't the Droid do it. I don't care about the BB market at all. I came from a Voyager and the touch screen and web functions were a joke. We all realize that most other phones don't compare to an iPhone or Android phone. I'm with Android cause I believe in the product, and more then that I believe Google is gonna take this market over in the next 5 years.

I makes no sense that the Droid can't operate as smoothly as the iPhone. Maybe there are reasons why it can't. I'd love to hear them. But as far as I'm concerned, Apple has proved that its possible. Android proved that they can just about kill the iPhone at everything else. Why not the visuals.

Its just gonna be real embarrassing when the new iPhone comes out with a flash, removable battery, multi apps at once... but the Droid is still lagging visually. I will still love my Droid. I'm just not gonna have a leg to stand on when iPhone users start their smack taking. :mad:

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited:

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I kinda felt the same thing. Live Wallpapers doesn't appeal to me too much, but even unofficial builds of it, NOT optimized for the Droids hardware had very positive reviews and noted the "phone is significantly faster".

astokes

Reaction score
Adding a homescreen alternative can speed up screen scrolling considerably, I now use Home++ and have it tweaked really nice, ive disabled wallpaper scrolling which I have never liked anyway, now icons scroll fluid and fast, the app draw glides really nice.

bikerboy

Reaction score
How can i upgrade to 2.1 ? any links or threads around here for that ?
Thanks

mjs31

Reaction score
What screen lag? I know about browsing lag since 2.0.1 but I dont see any screen lag at all including the notification bar and apps bar. I am using GDE though. I had the IPhone 3GS and just dont see the issue.

mjs31

Reaction score
tha]-[acksaw;161907 said:

To me, its very simple. If the iPhone can do it, why can't the Droid do it. I don't care about the BB market at all. I came from a Voyager and the touch screen and web functions were a joke. We all realize that most other phones don't compare to an iPhone or Android phone. I'm with Android cause I believe in the product, and more then that I believe Google is gonna take this market over in the next 5 years.

I makes no sense that the Droid can't operate as smoothly as the iPhone. Maybe there are reasons why it can't. I'd love to hear them. But as far as I'm concerned, Apple has proved that its possible. Android proved that they can just about kill the iPhone at everything else. Why not the visuals.

Its just gonna be real embarrassing when the new iPhone comes out with a flash, removable battery, multi apps at once... but the Droid is still lagging visually. I will still love my Droid. I'm just not gonna have a leg to stand on when iPhone users start their smack taking. :mad:

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Ok, so let me get this straight. You are going to be embarrassed when the xth addition of the iphone comes out (no idea how many) and the 1st addition of the Droid lags a little? Ok...sorry, but that is kind of whining. I am sure google will continue with updates and all on the Droid but you have now taken it to comparing this phone to one that is not even out yet. In your last paragraph you mentioned many things the xth generation of the IPhone still does not have, but you are stuck on a minor thing that will probably get fixed. Sounds to me like you will never be happy.

Sorry, but I think this is absolutely crazy expectations. Yes, we all want this thing to fly in every aspect, but come on it has been only 3 months compared to several years.