1Password app arrives on Android Market

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
1Password, the password management utility made famous on the Mac, is now available on the Android Market! Android 2.1 is required. You will need to manually copy the data over to the phone, however, as there is no automatic sync option available between your smartphone and Mac (instructions here).

There is also a beta version for Windows available here.

Now I never tried the software, and I would be a bit hesitant to save all my passwords in one location, as this could be a treasure trove for snoopers or hackers. However, the software has been highly rated by many reputable tech journals, from CNET to Macword Magazine (testimonials here). CNET goes as far as to say that "1Password is the best software available to keep your logins secure."

And to top it all off, 1Password for Android is free! (by contrast, Mac version costs $39.99). Check out the screenshots below for a sneak peak at what to expect:

AndroidScreenShotsBeta1.png

Has anyone here used 1Password? What are your impressions of the service, and will you be using this on your Android handset?

via Android Central
source Agile Web Solutions

Direct link to Market here

Last edited:

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I just tried it out. It seems that this app is not standalone - you HAVE to have the mac or windows version to create the initial password file. Without the password file, the app won't load past the initial error screen. I don't use mac or windows, but I was hoping to have a trustworthy mobile storage of passwords without needing a mac or windows PC.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Oh..its not standalone? Wack.

The screenshots make it look like it will work by itself - perhaps that's only once you load the password file. But then you still have to keep that file synchronized manually - if you add a password to the mobile one you have to copy that file over to the PC or vice versa.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. It looks like the Windows beta is free. Maybe someone can test the app with that version?

aveda6

Reaction score
I've been a long-time user of the 1Password app on my mac system. I have really liked it and it's worked well. I used the iphone app when it came out and, after a few issues, it worked well. I downloaded the new android app onto my droid and it fails to open. It immediately force closes. I tried it again today and had the same results.

Jim

shahr

Reaction score
I just tested the 1Password. You need to enter the password files onto the Mac or PC, then transfer the files manually to the SD card. You will then have access to your passwords on the droid. However, you cannot edit any password nor to create a new one the phone.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just tested the 1Password. You need to enter the password files onto the Mac or PC, then transfer the files manually to the SD card. You will then have access to your passwords on the droid. However, you cannot edit any password nor to create a new one the phone.

rather limited, eh? if you're a paying customer, i would complain to the company. i don't see why you can't edit or add new ones on your phone...

MAzing87

Reaction score
This the type of app that will become popular if it works and then some hacker would glee just knowing he can get access to user's personal information. I'd rather pass on this.

tripp racioppi

Reaction score
Alternative to 1Password

I've been using SplashID by Handango for years. I've had it on my Palm Treo and Centro. It is available for the Droid and works great! The app is available through the Android Market for the Droid or you can get the Droid app and desktop app (PC or MAC) through Handango. The two apps are $39.95. A really nice feature is that you can synch your computer with the Droid over a WiFi connection. dancedroid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have one password on my mac. I'll take a look at it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is a huge plus for me I can tell and it's just now installing.

I don't know how many times I've had to come down to my Mac to get a PW. I just loaded up 1 Password from my Mac and all my PW's are now in one place. I give it a thumbs up.

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
The app is a complete failure... Does any know what the approval process is for an app to be put on the Market?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The app is a complete failure... Does any know what the approval process is for an app to be put on the Market?

Can you elaborate? Do you have 1Password installed on your Mac or PC? That's the only way the Android app will work.