Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
An Article I found Interesting I thought That I would share.

The Motorola Xoom Android tablet goes on sale in the UK this week, bringing a first taste of Android Honeycomb at long last. Electricpig has been playing with one over the weekend and will be bringing you a full verdict tomorrow. But in the meantime, if you passed on the iPad 2 and have been waiting patiently for Honeycomb, here are ten cast-iron reasons your gamble has paid off…
1 It isn’t enslaved by iTunes
It’s absurd that a device that is meant to redefine computing still has to be chained to a PC for updates. And you know what, iTunes is almost starting to look old-fashioned – it’s laggy and bloated. Simply plug in the Motorola Xoom via micro USB, and you can copy across whatever files you like, or use the excellent, free and streamlined doubleTwist desktop app for iTunes-style syncing.
2. Praise the Lord, it’s got Flash
How the hell have Apple got away with this for so long? Without Flash, a large proportion of videos and websites pop up with a ‘Haha, you’re not in our gang’ message and refuse to work properly. Ok, to be fair the situation is getting better, but it’s simply not an issue for the Xoom, which uses the latest Adobe Flash 10.2 plug-in to play any video you can find on the internet.
3. The keyboard is vastly superior
While Apple’s QWERTY touchscreen keyboard on the iPhone has still yet to be matched, the iPad’s is a different story. On the iPad 2, it’s responsive enough but there’s no form of prediction to speed up your typing. The Motorola Xoom however uses an enlarged version of the stunning keyboard found in Android 2.3, which pops up with suggested words above as you type. Oh, and because it’s Android, you can install any other keyboard that takes your fancy too.
4. Notifications don’t bring it to a grinding halt
Apple’s iOS notification system is certainly its Achilles’ heel, and it’s felt even more acutely on the iPad 2′s much larger screen. Whenever anything happens, it stops whatever you’re doing and throws a message in your face. By contrast, the Motorola Xoom’s notification set up is elegant. Instead of the pull down tray on Android phones, you have a small area in the bottom right hand corner where new messages like pop up. You can remove the pop up with a tap, open it, or just ignore it completely – point is, the choice is yours.
5. A HDMI cable won’t cost you a kidney
You can connect both an iPad 2 and a Motorola Xoom to your TV to play HD video back on the big screen – but the latter will cost significantly less to do so. Apple’s 30-pin port requires the company’s own Digital AV Adapter, which costs a full £35, where as the Xoom uses a regular micro HDMI cable, which can be had for just a few pounds online.
6. It’s a multitasking genius
We’re not going to get sucked into the argument about whether iOS multitasking is true multitasking or not – suffice to say it’s enough for most. But Apple could learn from Google in this respect still: we much prefer the live thumbnails you see when you pop the multitasking button on the Xoom. It’s just easier to see what lies beyond, where the iPad gives you impenetrable stock icons.
7. Somebody actually thought about the homescreen
The iPad 2 is a beautiful device, but every time we look at the home screen, we wince at all the real estate going to waste. Couldn’t you just have all those icons in one corner, and leave the rest for widgets? Android 3.0 on the Xoom lets you slap widgets, shortcuts and contacts anywhere you like on multiple homescreens, and leaves the list of apps for a separate menu screen you can summon on command.
8. You can upgrade the storage cheaply
How about some hot swappable storage space on your slate? While it’s not active right now (Motorola says a firmware update is coming), the Motorola Xoom sports a microSD slot, so you’ll be able to pop in cards of up to 32GB as you please. Of course, you can get the iPad 2 in flavours up to 64GB in size, but they cost a lot more – and you can’t switch it out at will.
9. Voice actions are built in
Apple’s voice command controls remain fairly limited, while Google vastly improved its voice options with Android 2.2 and up. They make even more sense on a tablet, which you’re more likely to be using in the comfort of your home, and you’ll prefer not to type on if possible. Telling the Xoom what to search for just makes perfect sense.
10. It’s got a killer browser
Using the browser on the Motorola Xoom feels just like a refined Chrome on a computer. It’s fast, with tabs visible at the top instead of in a separate window a la Safari on iOS, voice controls are included and you can even open up an incognito tab to surf for, er, ‘surprise birthday presents’.

by Ben Sillis
Xoom-raider! 10 rock-solid reasons why Motorola

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is one giant reason its not better. Moto has only sold 100k while the ipad has sold tens of millions. Spec wise sure the Xoom may have an edge but where it matters most, sales, its not even a competition as of yet.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I would have to agree with you Apple has a Huge Following.. Some people will buy poop if it had an Apple symbol on it. If the price of the Xoom came down to match the ipad2 it would not make a difference because Xoom is fairly a new product and Apple ipad is in their 2nd or third year. I would go with the Xoom Spec wise. I am waiting for them to bring the price down on it. I will have one before the end of the year...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with you Apple has a Huge Following.. Some people will buy poop if it had an Apple symbol on it. If the price of the Xoom came down to match the ipad2 it would not make a difference because Xoom is fairly a new product and Apple ipad is in their 2nd or third year. I would go with the Xoom Spec wise. I am waiting for them to bring the price down on it. I will have one before the end of the year...
haha, yeah I would like to see them knock the price down a bit as well. That's actually why I am interested in the Asus tabs more than the Xoom.

zr1fan09

Reaction score
Just because the ipad sells more doesn't make it a better device hahaha the ipad has a 2 year jump in sales on the xoom so of course it's going to have higher sales

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

cpjr

Reaction score
Just because the ipad sells more doesn't make it a better device hahaha the ipad has a 2 year jump in sales on the xoom so of course it's going to have higher sales

Well, actually if you want to compare sales, the iPad 2 which was released AFTER the Xoom has sold far more than the Xoom.

But, "better" is a VERY loose term, the ipad has definitely had "better" sales....but as far as being a "better" device, it all personal opinion.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

right but the iPad2 sold 600,000 at it's initial launch, the Xoom not so much.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well, actually if you want to compare sales, the iPad 2 which was released AFTER the Xoom has sold far more than the Xoom.

But, "better" is a VERY loose term, the ipad has definitely had "better" sales....but as far as being a "better" device, it all personal opinion.
Exactly, I was speaking strictly from a business standpoint. It is up the consumer to decide which one they think is better. These devices are all so well made that it really is a matter of personal preference.

xan

Reaction score
Great iMarketing never actually makes an item any better than the next, it just brain washes more people into thinking its iBetter.

McDonalds doesn't sell the most hamburgers in the world because they taste any better than the others out there.

cpjr

Reaction score
^We never said it did.....but again, the entire point of a company is to make money and Apple knows how to do that VERY well.

xan

Reaction score
......the entire point of a company is to make money and Apple knows how to do that VERY well.

I wonder if that was WOZ and the gang's true focus, in that little garage in cupertino so many moons ago.

cpjr

Reaction score
......the entire point of a company is to make money and Apple knows how to do that VERY well.

I wonder if that was WOZ and the gang's true focus, in that little garage in cupertino so many moons ago.

Huh?

Apple as a company also gives quite a bit, between charity donations and such.

Also, Steve Jobs doesnt even take a salary (ok, he gets $1/year, literally). Yes he does make bank on his stocks of the company, but he could easily take a huge salary as well.

Im no Apple fanboy (obviously, Im on here and own a TB) but let not kid ourselves....

EVERY company is out there to make money, as much as they can. Motorola or HTC are no different.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Apple knows how to make money, and they know how to make products that are eye-catching.

They also have the sales because they have their own stores. Break your iWhatever and take it to the mall... Xoom: you gotta ship the damn thing out if it needs to get fixed (won't be happening to me, just rooted it last night; knocking on wood I will never have to do this). But like y'all said, the iPad has been in the game for much longer than ANY Andy tablet. The Xoom is what, a month and a half old. Of course because of this it's not going to have many apps built specifically for it.

But that whole article you quoted in the OP, I agree with every point; this thing is a beast, iPad has a long way to come to compare to some of those points as well, it's just hidden by other points, such as sales.

cpjr

Reaction score
And whether people want to agree or not....Apple DOES make some of the most solid products, from a hardware standpoint. Their devices are VERY well built and beautiful.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I won't disagree... I have a 17" MacBook Pro that's comin up on 5 years old. Still running as strong as the day I first got it. Been thru 3 batteries, and I'm not gonna spend $80 on another one, but plugged in it does what I need it to