0.1 & 0.2 Random Reboots

gloster

Reaction score
I am running BB .2 and a 250/900mhz P3. I installed it on top of Team Chaos Froyo wiping cache but not data first. I have had one reboot while it was sitting fully charged on the dock. I did not experience reboots during my couple days with Team Chaos Froyo with the 250/900mhz P3.

(just providing info, not trying to compare builds -- I :heart: all)

dorri732

Reaction score
I read this on another thread, and I bet its the source of your problem if the reboots seem to happen when unlocking.

Pressing power and volume down makes the phone shutdown.

With qwhere the volume keys are located, its actually really easy to accidentally press vol down when trying to unlock one handed.

I think he nailed it. Every time it's happened with me it's been when waking from idle. I'd see the desktop (without having to slide to unlock) and then it would shut off.

Wish Pete would make the screen have to be on prior to this key-combination killing the phone. Would take care of the problem.

Winteryfresh

Reaction score
I used to be able to run the low voltage 1.3 ghz kernals but with froyo mmy phone doesnt like anything over 800mmhz, which is fine with me because when cyanogen 5.0.7.1 came out i went bac@k to stock clock speeds anyways, so i can stick with 800mhz.

I would just like to know why it cant handle it now

Edit: i guess my problem isnt so much having random reboots as the fact that i can use any kernal except stock or else the phone will either bootloop, or will start up (in the case of jdlfg's kernals, which were amazing with cyanogen) and then reboot in a matter of minutes.

I havnt had a proble with the stock kernal and random reboots though

Last edited:

Nerf

Reaction score
I've been having random reboots since I started using BB on 2.1 (1.0, 1.1, 0.1, 0.2 and 0.2.1). My reboots and shutdowns seem unconditional, as they happen when my droid is or isn't plugged in to power, idle, active, mid-call, mid-text, mid-web browsing.. it doesn't matter what I do. Sometimes it works fine for hours and sometimes it just shuts down while I'm on the phone. I'd be very grateful if a solution could be found for this problem.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been having random reboots since I started using BB on 2.1 (1.0, 1.1, 0.1, 0.2 and 0.2.1). My reboots and shutdowns seem unconditional, as they happen when my droid is or isn't plugged in to power, idle, active, mid-call, mid-text, mid-web browsing.. it doesn't matter what I do. Sometimes it works fine for hours and sometimes it just shuts down while I'm on the phone. I'd be very grateful if a solution could be found for this problem.

Try a different kernel first. If it still happens, try a different ROM such as Chevy's.

Quie2Droid

Reaction score

Try a different kernel first. If it still happens, try a different ROM such as Chevy's.

I am right there with you guys. I have tried all the Froyo Roms with different kernels, and I have the random reboots on ALL of them. Not sure what the deal is, it's always when it's off the charger. Seems to happen mostly in sleep mode. I have used Set CPU with a minimum setting of 400 to try to cure it and no dice.

B

budmonster

I installed 0.2.1 last night, I let it do its thing overnight. This morning, random reboots too!

Fulle

Reaction score
With 0.2 there were 2 issues I'm aware of that caused random reboots, unless I'm not somehow mistaken.

There were the virtual memory optimizations that Pete put in there... and some undiagnosed bug where kernels with 125MHz clockspeed mins seemed to be problematic.

I've tried a few of P3's LV 125 min Froyo kernels without problems, and I haven't commented out the virtual memory optimizations... so I don't get it. In 0.2.1, Pete commented out the memory optimizations by default, and set the min to 250, regardless if your kernel allows lower.

I've been running with P3's 900MHz LV kernel (with the 125MHz low) on bb v0.2, and it's been stable for me... I tried a few similar kernels by P3 and had positive results as well... (I tried several of the LV kernels to see if I could get one that caused the reboot behavior).
- Now, on some kernels, like jd's, my phone thinks it's battery drained... and my phone is unstable if it's pushed over 1.2GHz, but... I don't seem to experience this issue with the reboots. Regardless, if you get that, you can switch to v.0.2.1, or make some adjustments to your v0.2 build, and probably get it to work OK. I wish I was more help here, but I can't duplicate the symptoms... Hopefully a dev will figure it out soon.

Last edited:

korp

Reaction score
Ive experienced it 3 times since installing 0.2, Recently just happened when surfing the web trying to download a apk file
I've had it a couple times trying to come out of sleep mode .... running BB 0.2 & P3 250-1200 kernel.

KonArtiz

Reaction score
I think I figured it out! I too was having the same problem with reboot issue. So what I did was went back to my original stock froyo before I did any of the custom roms. Once I flashed my backup, I then re-downloaded Jrummys Kangerade but i didn't pick out a KERNEL(No, Thank YOU-on the selection) so now I'm using the stock kernel and the reboot issue is gone. Oh I also uninstalled the setcpu, I read in a few places that the setcpu has been giving problems on froyo too. But I think the Kernels listed on some of the roms are the problem-because I went thru all the kernels on Jrummys and still had the problems...No disrespect Jrummy I love your stuff! Hope this helps...if it does email me.... rangu68606@gmail.com

DigiK

Reaction score
After update.zip installation of BB v.2, I was also experiencing multiple random reboots. It's conceivable the reboots are being caused by not doing a fresh installation, but I don't always have time for a full wipe/restore. Considering there are no real appreciable additions or speed increases in BB V.2 other than Google DNS, I reverted to V.1, which has been absolutely flawless. Pete does great work, but I'll be waiting to update until the reboot issues are completely solved.

korp

Reaction score
Chances are it's caused by the kernel speed but I'm a ride or die 1.2GHz fan.