Zumo Cast

darkmatter

Reaction score
I hadn't even really looked at this thing yet, just lumped it in with the bloatware.

but I saw it mentioned in this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/159766-anyone-unsatisfied-d3-9.html so I decided to take a look at it.

...how has no one really mentioned this app before? This thing may be one of the single greatest apps in creation, and as of right now, the D3 is the only supported device. I have to wonder if it will come to non-motorola phones, cause its a motorola app.

Seriously, Zumo Cast replaces any cloud drive from amazon/google/apple, and not only with your music, but videos too. I haven't played with documents yet, but it could also very well replace Dropbox. All by using your computer, and not a cloud drive.

If you haven't checked it out yet, do so immediately, you won't regret it.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Saw this as well due to that thread, great app!! Highly recommended.

Edit - I can't seem to connect to my desktop folder.. and suggestions?

Last edited:

strider_

Reaction score
I was bummed when zumo removed the app.... A friend told me that i should try Polkast from polkast.com. Instead of sending your content to the cloud, Polkast creates a cloud directly between your mobile devices and your PCs. Now I can access to all of my content from anywhere and none is kept on any clouds. It's crazy fast. It's just amazing. Now moving stuffs between the devices are no longer a pain and cloud 2 GB limitation is just ridiculous. I was so impressed that I went out and bought an android tablet afterward... boy, it's just like magic on my tablets and I can get access to anything on my PCs from anywhere, even those big video files ( unthinkable for typical cloud solution).

Last edited:

Heelfan71

Reaction score
I was bummed when zumo removed the app.... A friend told me that i should try Polkast from polkast.com. Instead of sending your content to the cloud, Polkast creates a cloud directly between your mobile devices and your PCs. Now I can access to all of my content from anywhere and none is kept on any clouds. It's crazy fast. It's just amazing. Now moving stuffs between the devices are no longer a pain and cloud 2 GB limitation is just ridiculous. I was so impressed that I went out and bought an android tablet afterward... boy, it's just like magic on my tablets and I can get access to anything on my PCs from anywhere, even those big video files ( unthinkable for typical cloud solution).

I believe you are talking about Zumodrive which has a 2gb limit and a cloud. Zumocast (which comes on the D3) streams the files directly from your computer.

ZumoCast - Stream your media. It's your personal cloud.

rushmore

Reaction score
Be careful with this app. It appears to be an absolute resource hog for a computer and many posts from media forums can be found since last year that stress this. The app performs great, but my quadcore was steady at 93% cpu when using this app and fans kicked in like a hovercraft. Others report higher use than that.

Did not matter for me if streaming video or not, my computer remained at high usage state until a turned the Zumocast app off. Even if it "only" happens with video, it is too much.

I like what the app does, but seems too taxing even for my higher end quad system.

Last edited:
OP
darkmatter

darkmatter

Reaction score
are you using your computer while streaming to your phone? that seems to be a bit counterintuitive. The point of streaming to your phone is that you're away from your computer.

It makes sense that its going to use a lot of resources, since its likely using your computer to compress and stream the data all at once. I'm wondering if you get better streaming video over 3g the better your computer is, since a better computer can compress the data quicker to send to your phone.

I guess some other similar apps might send data to a server to compress and then to your phone?

IDK, I'm kinda of the mind of "whats the point of having a high end pc if you only are ever using 20%?"

ksuviper

Reaction score
does anyone have the lastest apk for zumocast from the market they can share? Thanks

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Be careful with this app. It appears to be an absolute resource hog for a computer and many posts from media forums can be found since last year that stress this. The app performs great, but my quadcore was steady at 93% cpu when using this app and fans kicked in like a hovercraft. Others report higher use than that.

Did not matter for me if streaming video or not, my computer remained at high usage state until a turned the Zumocast app off. Even if it "only" happens with video, it is too much.

I like what the app does, but seems too taxing even for my higher end quad system.

It is likely transcoding whatever media format you have stored to a format the D3 can understand. Depending on what format you have stored on your computer will greatly vary the amount of resources that are required for the transcode. A simple xvid should be a walk in the park, but a Bluray rip (25GB+) will likely take a pretty beefy computer to transcode realtime. It isn't the apps fault, it is the computer and source media type.

ksuviper

Reaction score
I use the app on my DX but I can't update the app from the market so I was hoping someone could get me the updated apk from thier D3 now that you guys have root. Also it does tax my server at about 80% when watching a video but that is the price you have to pay to get your video collection streamed to your phone.

MarkyM

Reaction score
Music Player is Not Gapless

This is very cool, but the music player is not gapless. Won't be deleting Poweramp anytime soon.

pgzerwer

Reaction score
Not sure why, but I cannot get Zumocast to go at all. Evry time I try to sign up I get back "Sign up failed. Please try again." Anyone got ideas??

Reaction score
I'm probably the one that mentioned Zumocast in the other thread. I'm glad people are finally checking it out instead of dismissing it as bloatware. I use it quite a bit. It does work well for retrieving documents from your computer, too. I should mention though that I was unable to connect to it at all while overseas on Wifi. That may have been the ****ty wifi though.

I also have a Quadcore.. but I haven't had any issues with it due to Zumocast running. Though I haven't tried to use it when streaming to my phone. I've had issues with my Quadcore, period, which I'll blame on my sticking with 32 bit Windows and the 4 Gigs of memory cap. It's never delivered the performance it should.

+1 for PowerAmp and gapless playback. I'm not sure it's realistic to expect Zumocast to do that though. It's going to look at each file as a separate file as opposed to working to ensure there are no gaps in playback. Even Spotify won't do gapless playback and it's whole job is music plaback, unlike Zumocast.

danilos2k

Reaction score
Not sure why, but I cannot get Zumocast to go at all. Evry time I try to sign up I get back "Sign up failed. Please try again." Anyone got ideas??

Same of me, where are you located? Maybe this could be a problem

I m in Italy

Inviato dal mio DROID3 usando Tapatalk

EDIT SOLVED

Last edited:

AZDroid09

Reaction score
I've been playing around with it a bit, it's useful, but very slow. Videos play very choppy, long pauses between songs. Also video quality is terrible, even though I am streaming videos that were formatted to be played on my Droid3. But it's nice to be able to have remote access and be able to download things if desired. I use Audiogalaxy for streaming music from my pc, it is much faster and more reliable for me than zumocast. Hopefully the app will improve in time.